We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Food

Hi. I plan to go to Varadero in April and I booked private apartment not a hotel. How hard it is to find food market or restaurant to eat at?

24 replies to this topic
montreal
Level Contributor
12,059 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Food

Restaurants are all over Downtown Varadero lots to choose from .

As for food markets that is another story keep to the restaurants for your meals

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Food

You can check out the restaurant reviews on here. There are lots of great places to eat and for good prices. Just make sure to pack a take home Tupperware dish as a lot of places dont have carry out dishes. Least they didn't when we were there last year. They tend to have good size servings.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Food

sometimes it's cheaper to go out and eat in cub a try kikis pasta pizza or Nona tina in town Varadero area

Edited: 20 February 2018, 18:00
Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Food

Unfortunately you will find that it is very hard to be self sufficient in Cuba, even in Havana, finding eggs is a mysterious quest on it's own. The only real grocery store is at Plaza Las Americas by the golf course. It is expensive and you will find it frustrating and impossible to find everything what you want. At the very end of the Varadero Peninsula is the Marina where you will find a small grocery store with higher end items (they also have a bowling alley!). You'll probably end up eating mostly at restaurants which are more expensive in Varadero but still reasonable compared to other parts of the world. I always treat myself to one good meal at Salsa Suarez Restaurant ( Calle 31 Y 3ra Ave), it will cost you about $40 Cuc for 2 people with wine. Other than that you can always just live on rum and sunshine.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Food

there are places in downtown Varadero you can eat for 5 cuc a plate rice beans pork off the main strip side streets.

Edited: 20 February 2018, 18:09
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
21,431 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Food

No 4 - how much of that 40 was the wine.

There was an egg shortage after Irma destroyed many of the layers but normally things like that are a matter of having the right contacts.

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Food

Thank you all! You helped me a lot.

St Thomas
Level Contributor
308 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Food

In the morning on some or the side streets downtown there are street vendor's who sell mostly to locals some really good really cheap local food . Sometimes when i take my early morning walk ill grab something at one of them . My wife wont go near them but i have had some great food there for a couple of CUCs Peter

Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Food

Not sure about food markets but there is plenty of Restaurants in Varadero that you would absolutely enjoy...and I am sure the casa that you have booked will offer you a breakfast for 5 cucs and it will be a huge portion and will carry you over till mid day...Plus, I hear from others on Trip Advisory that they even have the Casa Owners prepare them dinner meals several days during the week...and all at a great price...much more effort cooking a meal for tour quests...I like the Restaurant called Terreza Cuba in Matanzas...not far from Varadero Town...you just walk over a bridge an you will be in Matanzas...it might cost you 5 cucs by taxi...but I highly recommend checking this restaurant out...My favorite meal for sure...best lobster meal ever...and if you don't like lobster there is many other choices on the menu....enjoy your stay..

montreal
Level Contributor
12,059 posts
123 reviews
10. Re: Food

You walk over the bridge you are in Santa Marta not Matanzas Alice and why waste $5 each way when that $10 can pay for a nice meal in Varadero not like your $30 lobster at your favourite restaurant .

Reply to: Food
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted