We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in 1 week!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling in 1 week!

Travelling to Cuba in 1 week from the UK and super excited, however fairly unprepared. Have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer for me!

1) Average costs of a pack of cigarettes in Varadero? Does everywhere sell them?

2) Where is the best place to get cigars? The town or the airport on route home & About what would they costs? (good ones!).

3) For day trips do they have tour booths in the town? Are they ok to use? (If they exist).

4) Recommendations for a fun night out in Varadero and a nice dinner. maybe steak… Any approximate costs would be great.

5) Is credit card use as sparse as it is made out. Do I need to bring all cash?

Thanks all

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
14 replies to this topic
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,275 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling in 1 week!

1) average ? Depends on the cigarettes that you want. Cuban cigarettes are pretty cheap, imported ones more expensive but still cheap by most standards.

2) I think not the airport - they may not have been best cared for and they know that you can't easily go back to complain.

4) http://www.varaderoguide.net/nightlife.html

5) I don't know about Varadero but I think that in general visa and mastercards are used more in Cuba than is indicated on these forums.

Edited: 22 February 2018, 09:57
Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
St Thomas
Level Contributor
276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling in 1 week!

Cigarettes are available in most hotel tuck shops and many hotels still have machines. Hollywood's which is a standard brand are 1 to 2 CUC other brands are in that range . Beef is not always the best choice in Cuba so ask around locally for somewhere that specializes in it . There are many nice local restaurants in town especially around the Josones park area . If you are looking for some nice local entertainment with Cuban music and street dancing try the bar called Calle 62 . It's a bit of a tourist trap but still one of the nicer night spots . It's open air bar spilling out on to the street if you want a table get there around 9 pm . Music starts around 10 . Hip young locals hang out here . Of Course the Beatles bar is just a couple of blocks down the street fun place if you like 70s British and North American rock and tool. Both fun places and very safe .There are no people selling outings on the street or on the beach . There will be reps in the lobby of your hotel . If you want a private trip to Havana there will be someone in the hotel who will help you arrange or vintage cab drivers will arrange with you. For best selection the cigar shop at Calle 62 is a good place to go there is also a cigar shop at Pan Am mall. I find that for smaller amounts most hotel tuck shops sell at competitive prices. There are other government run tobacco shops in town if you are looking for something specific . Good cigars are mot cheap in Cuba . Enjoy your trip . Peter

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Beatles Bar
Beatles Bar
3,218 Reviews
Cuba
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling in 1 week!

Thank you. Really helpful!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling in 1 week!

Thank you. Really helpful!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,275 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling in 1 week!

By the way - last that I heard, packs of cigarettes without filters were sold at CUP 7 - so that is about 30 cents - for 20. A friend’s grandmother used to buy those and resell them at 1 CUP for 2 cigarettes for those who could not afford a whole pack in one go.

Hollywood and the other brands sold in CUC are made by a joint venture with a division of BAT.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
Broward County, FL
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling in 1 week!

El Toro has good steak, which my spouse and I enjoyed a couple times on our last visit to Cuba in 2017. There beef is brought in from Canada and the prices are reasonable.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review…

I hope this helps. Have a great holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,960 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling in 1 week!

H Upmann selecto 7 cuc a carton 10 packs great Cuban smoke this is the brand that locals smake.

Edited: 23 February 2018, 15:57
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,275 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling in 1 week!

HC - I thought more locals smoked Popular ? Or has that changed ?

Level Contributor
249 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling in 1 week!

Ciggies are cheap in Cuba, but I recommend that you take lighters and/or matches in abundance as those can be in short supply or expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling in 1 week!

Matches/lighters in checked baggage of course....

Reply to: Travelling in 1 week!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Varadero