We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccines and medication

Ottawa
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
vaccines and medication

Just wondering if it's necessary to get hep A&B shot before going. Is there other medications I should take before my trip?

19 replies to this topic
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,347 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: vaccines and medication

Lots of people get TwinRix but that's a question for your family Doc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: vaccines and medication

it's your call not for me to give out medical advice

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: vaccines and medication

I think most travel clinics or your doctor would recommend Twinrix. They might recommend others depending what your vaccination history is. I always bring tummy supplies just in case ... and use pepto each morning :)

Nelson BC
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: vaccines and medication

All 3 posters are correct....I follow #3 and take a pepto tab each day and it works for me. A lot of problems stem from either too much fruit or alchohol to a body not used to it....moderation in all things....have fun.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
1 review
5. Re: vaccines and medication

Vaccines for A&B are both recommended if you travel to the DR or elsewhere. My VON lady back in the day only stuck me for the necessary one for Cuba at the time. The pepto sounds like a good idea. Maybe strengthen the gut starting a month before with Lactobacillus Acidophilus as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: vaccines and medication

Hola

I also take DUKORAL, but is not cheap here in B.C.

cheers

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: vaccines and medication

Dukerol has done a great job of advertising. It prevents diarrhea from Cholera and eColi infections. Neither of which you will encounter at a resort, if you go off the resort I doubt you will be drinking and creek or river water.

The only time we got sick was before we left we both got I’ll from the Dukerol.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: vaccines and medication

Hola

I know the stuff is great for me, with all my trips before Cuba to Mexico I got sick on average one out of three trips, after DUKORAL never got sick in Mexico.

I would highly recommend this stuff to anyone who is worried but first go and see your travel doctor...which is what I did way way back when. Best thing I ever did.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: vaccines and medication

I always make sure my Tetanus is up to date, never know what I might step on or get bitten by!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: vaccines and medication

Talk to your doctor about vaccinations for travel out of country. I also take a first aid kit with me of things that might be needed such as Benadryl itch cream for bug bites, bandaids, Advil or Tylenol, gravel, Pepto or Imodium, some Rolaids perhaps. Anyting you figure you may need in a situation where a drugstore isn't easily obtainable. To take aloe vera gel and sunscreen but that's because I burn crazy fast.

Have a great trip and lots of fun!

Reply to: vaccines and medication
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted