We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Las Americas

Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
9 reviews
Melia Las Americas

We are currently planning out winter vacation and have a few questions about this Melia resort. We have been to both the Royal Hicacos and the Blau Varadero, enjoyed them both (although preferred the Blau) but, both are over $400 more than the Melia Las Americas.So, here goes:

Are there elevators in the resort or just stairs?

Is there a problem getting good pool side chairs in the morning or is there a vicious towel game?

Do they have mattresses for the pool chairs?

Is the beach walkable and by that I mean, can you walk for a fair distance?

How's the food?

Beds...hard or softer?

Are there room locations that are close to everything, pool, restaurants etc?

Than you in advance.

2 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Melia Las Americas

I can only comment on the beach as I stayed next door at Melia Varadero.

The size of the beach is limited given it's shape and it's bordered by rock formations that come out. Sorry this is a poor description but google a picture and you will know what I mean. It's still a fairly large beach as it is for 2 resorts and isn't tiny by any means. But it's not like the beach outfront the Blau. You can walk down past the Melia Varadero and thru some brush and you are at the Sol Palmaras beach and you can walk even further ... On the MLA side I am not sure how far you can walk past as I didn't try ... Regardless we walked awhile but not all was on sand, some was brush.

Edited: 17 October 2018, 14:04
Barrie, ON
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
2. Re: Melia Las Americas

I've stayed at the Melia Las Americas three times. Yes, they have elevators, in the main hotel building, to the left of reception.

Each time I was there was April, and there was never a problem getting a pool side chair, not sure how this will be in the winter months. I can't recall any mattresses for the pool chairs. As mentioned, the beach is very walkable towards Melia Varadero and beyond, I think as far as the Ocean Vista Azul. The other direction, you can only walk to the Xanadu Mansion at the golf course, which isn't far.

I've been to Cuba many times, and have never had a problem with food, and this resort was the same. No issues. The snack bar around the bungalow pool was good for lunch as well as the restaurant at the main lower pool, La Robzela. Try and reserve dinner outside at Il Limoncello, it was very nice.

I found the beds on the firm side. We always stayed in the bungalows, so not sure what the hotel room ones are like.

If you stay in the main hotel, everything is right there, very close. The bungalow section is a only a few mins away, not really that far, IMHO. Enjoyed each stay here, would go back again if the price is right.

Reply to: Melia Las Americas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted