We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blau Varadero or Melia Las Americas

Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Blau Varadero or Melia Las Americas

We are a Canadian couple in our 40s who have travelled to other resorts in Mexico, DR and Jamaica but never been to Cuba. I realize Cuba cannot be compared to where we have previously been and is different but special in it’s own way. We’re trying to determine the best fit for what we like and have narrowed it down to:

Blau Varadero in “Select Oceanview” room

Or

Melia Las Americas in “Garden Grand Suite, The Level” room

This is what we like:

Clean, updated rooms

Great service including waiter service at the pool

Friendly environment

Activities during day (pool games, etc)

Activity choices in evening that don’t shut down at 11pm (option of a disco?)

Variety of food choices

Fridge in room with beer and water restocked daily

It will be a trip over New Years and both resorts are comparable in price.

Which would be a better fit?

7 replies to this topic
swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
264 reviews
1. Re: Blau Varadero or Melia Las Americas

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Blau last April and it would tick most of your boxes,although unless i'm mistaken and my memory is playing tricks it does not offer waiter service either poolside or on the beach and much of the entertainment wound down around 11 o'clock and all apart from the beach bar are closed by 12 O'clock,although there was music and dancing there into the wee hours on the occasions we ventured down there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Blau Varadero or Melia Las Americas

I haven't stayed at either, but the beach at the Blau is gorgeous ... goes forever each way. We stayed at the Melia Las Antilles next door and wished we would have picked the Blau (this was before the Blau was adults only, so you could hear all the fun they were having, whereas the Melia Las Antilles was a tad boring)

London, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
159 reviews
3. Re: Blau Varadero or Melia Las Americas

Blau was amazing when I was there!

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
4. Re: Blau Varadero or Melia Las Americas

My fiance and I just returned home from Blau Varadero a few days ago. It was our first trip to Cuba and we are so glad that we chose to stay at Blau. I honestly can't find one fault. The staff are amazing, the food is good, and the beach is stunning. The only thing that Blau doesn't check off on your list is the waiter service by the pool and at the beach. Both locations have bars right there, but you have to get up to get your own drink, which wasn't a big deal for us. I truly fell in love with this resort, and we are already planning a trip back next year! ☺

Buenos Aires...
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Blau Varadero or Melia Las Americas

Hi there, I'm following this thread as I'm looking for exactly the same and have narrowed my search to the Blau and Melia Americas..have you made your final choice?

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Blau Varadero or Melia Las Americas

I as well am stuck between these choices. I walked through Blau about 10 years ago when I stayed next door, and was impressed with it then, but Melia looks very similar, and is a little cheaper.

Please let us know which one you’ve chosen and why.

Tweed, Canada
9 posts
7. Re: Blau Varadero or Melia Las Americas

We are headed to the Melia in January. We weren't looking to compare with any other hotel. We have golfers in the group and they wanted unlimited golf included. We know we have to pay for the use of the golf cart daily, but we just factor that into the holiday budget.

Reply to: Blau Varadero or Melia Las Americas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Varadero