We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with Dolphins?

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming with Dolphins?

Just wondering if anyone has swam with the dolphins in Varadero?

We are taking our 3 boys for their first trip and of course it is something they want to do.

I am wondering what type of water they are in, dirty and murky or pretty clean, don't want anything gross looking!

Thanks a bunch!

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with Dolphins?

My wife and I were in Varadero at the beginning of August and here's my recommendation.

We took the Seafari Catamarn Cruise (79 CUC - if I remember correctly), but we upgraded to the Cruise Package that included 10 minutes with the dolphins, a chance to pet them, and a 5x7 photo that is ready for you to pick up at the end of the cruise. This upgrade is only an additional 10 CUC's and well worth it vs the 90 CUCs for an hour with the dolphins.

The swim is done in a Lagoon, not the Ocean, so it does appear to be murky, but there are showers to use for free after you are done swimming if you so wish to.

The Cruise includes drinks, and buffet lunch including lobster pieces on a deserted Island, good peso cigars are available, and was the only place I saw them in Cuba.

Additionally for 10 CUC's you can get a full GIANT (the biggest I have ever had) Lobster Tail prepared fresh on the boat.

Minden, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with Dolphins?

There was a recent review by someone at the Paradisus, whose husband contracted Ecoli when swimming with the dolphins. He apparently had an open sore while in the water.

Just an FYI !

montreal
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with Dolphins?

Hi,

I read on a post ( I wish I could remember the post more clearly)

there is a dolphin swim that is done in the ocean.

I am going to Varadero Nov 29 and I want to do the dolphin swim, but I will make sure it is not in a murky lagoon where the dolphins are not treated well.

If anyone knows which package has ocean swims, please post.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with Dolphins?

Thanks for the info...it is the ocean one I am interested in. We don't leave for Varadero until Jan 17/08 so if anyone goes and does the ocean dolphin swim, please let us know how it was and how much! Thanks again!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,623 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with Dolphins?

To chip in as I always do on this subject - yes, bay all means swim with them in open water - the ocean where they are free.

I you opt to swim with them where they are penned, etc think of it more as swimming with prisoners as these wonderful creatures are being held in captivity against there own free will.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with Dolphins?

I wonder if any of them have nicknames like Teabag.

Sault Ste Marie
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with Dolphins?

I'm with lovessunshine2007 and sunkiss'd...going to Varadero in Jan. (24-31) and would also like to do the ocean swim with the dolphins so would appreciate any info on this, and who has the best rates...thanks!

BC
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with Dolphins?

I swam with the dolphins in Varadero. I was very disappointed because the water was absolutly discusting. I could not see my own hand just inches under the surface. There are so many weeds and gross things touching your legs that it is difficult to enjoy the experience. I would try else where. It has been my lifelong dream to swim with them and the experience was not great since I was so apprehensive about what was grabbing at my legs.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming with Dolphins?

Definetly do the catamaran excursion. It's an all day trip, and you stop out in the ocean (there's a dolpinarium out in the ocean which is more natural then the dolphinarium in veradero....gross) and, not quite swim with them persay, but are in the waters with them as the trainor blows their whistle to make the dolphins swim up to you. It's awesome! Then you go to an island for a bbq, etc. Worthwhile.

CANADA
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming with Dolphins?

We just did the catamaran trip with the dolphin swim in the ocean. Just don't expect much. The kids were in the water approximately 2 minutes, got to touch the dolphin and then the photographer takes a picture of the dolphin kissing your head. If your kids are younger, go to the opposite (far)end of the pen. We waited for the first group to get out and we were the second group. When my stepson went to get in the water, the catamaran staff stopped him and said he was too small and he had to go to the other side. This was after we were waiting there for 5 minutes. Just wish they would have told us that on the catamaran, or at least while we were standing there waiting. The kids did like it though and depending on their ages, might not be disappointed. My 12 and 14 year old liked it.