We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

Ottawa
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

I have read not too flattering reviews on the Oasis Varadero 1920 but I noticed things seemed to have changed since the hotel has new owners. We're leaving on january 5th. Any recent reports?

thanks

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
805 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

Pleasze let us know how you make out. We were there a few years ago and I know that it had gone downhill but now looks lit it is picking up again. Would like to visit this resort if the changes have been made. Have a great trip. The beach is absolutely spectacular

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
805 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

bump

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

Is it actually open?It sure looked closed when I was by there last week.Could be wrong,but I don't think so!

dogsrule

Ottawa
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

I spoke to the rep from I Travel 2000 and she said that it was opened. Hope so too. Will let you know

Ottawa
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

Will let you know how we make out. We're leaving on January 5th from Ottawa and 2 others are leaving from Vancouver on January 4th. We'll find out if we're bumped or not. I know that sometimes hotels might close for a bit when they change hands so maybe it was closed for a time.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

Maybe it was just closed for the holidays,cuz I went by about 8 times and it didn't look too bright there,but I may be mistaken,it's happened before.Have an awesome time,and let us know about it when you get back!

Happy new year,

dogsrule

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

We visit that resort twice a year since 2001. The official name of the property is Occidental Allegro Varadero since November 1st 2009. Our last visit was last August and unfortunatelly our general opinion is not the best choice price/quality. The beach is still the same and we stil have some friendly workers which we met during the glorius time of former owner Club Med. Unfortunately after several names and diferent managements and styles it has been degraded a lot and some of the services are not available or just have poor quality. The food, the change of the towels. If you want to swim at night in the pool, it is not allowed cause it is treated with chemicals. Pool has poor ilumination too. The following is information requested to the hotel today. Archery range is open again. Night shows are not what they used to be.Out of 8 tennis courts are only available 2. Cars are scarce , so if you want to rent one, do it ASAP. there are only 7 cars for a maximal occupancy of 1200 guests. Pueblo Cubano, where the second theater is located is barely open. We will visit the hotel again on january 20th. We hope you are lucky and have a nice impression. But keep open minded.

Roches Point...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

We just returned from this resort on the 29th of December. It is a very nice resort, I have some good things and not so good things to say. But keep in mind, I have never been to Cuba before.

The resort has some awesome potential! It is a huge place, very nice layout. The resort itself is very clean, we had no issues that way. However, the rooms had a musty smell upon arrival and the piano bar did as well because it was closed all day and only opened in the evening.

There are 3 al a cartes but only 1 was open. There was a Pizza place and an ice cream parlour, but again they weren't open either. There is a swim up bar at one end of the resort and it was open the first day we were there but the rest of the time the swim up bar was closed.

The entertainment staff was absolutely amazing with our kids. It was the first time we travelled with the kids and the staff at this resort were awesome. I would highly recommend taking kids to this resort because of that. They took the time and colored with my kids, they had them playing mini golf, dancing, they made beaded necklaces with the girls (I brought the beads) and they had them involved in the animal show.

The main activities and action was around the main pool, bar and buffet restaurant. None of the food was lablelled so I didn't even attempt most of it because I didn't know what it was and it didn't look appealing to me. I did eventually find a few food items that I liked but I ended up losing 5 lbs on this trip and I am not a fussy eater. I usually will eat anything but fish. My oldest daughter wouldn't even eat at the buffet, she lived on hamburgers that she ordered from the bar. She too lost weight on the trip.

The drinks are not watered down, in fact I found them to be too strong and was asking for them not to use so much alcohol. It got to the point that I just stopped drinking mixed drinks and just had wine. They don't do blender drinks, which I found disapointing.

The beach was nice but there wasn't a whole lot of action on the beach. There were a few days that you couldn't even go into the ocean due to the wind and high waves. We ended up just hanging out at the pool most of the time. But for the 2 half days that we did spend at the beach, I have tons of bites from the sand fleas.

As I said, nice resort and the staff is nice. It is very large and clean but does need some TLC. Lights were out, doors were falling off the plumbing rooms, one of the elevators was shut down the entire time we were there. OH, one very BIG point.....MAKE SURE THERE IS TOILET PAPER WHEN USING THE WASHROOMS!! Almost every time we went to the washroom, all but one stall would be out of toilet paper.

If you go with an open mind and no expectations, you will have a good time. In spite of everything, we did have a good time!!

Collingwood, Ontario
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

I am wondering if anyone has been here in the last month (January 2010)? Was everything open/closed as far as bars/restaurants/snack bars etc.?

I was in Cuba in Feb 2009 and I stayed at Arenas Doradas, we did not have the best experience. However, after walking down the beach and wondering into the neighbour resort which was at that time the Oasis Varadero 1920 it looked much more distinct and taken care of. I am planning on returning to varadero in the next couple weeks and am looking for advice on resorts..

Any information is greatly appreciated!

toronto
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oasis Varadero 1920 NOW Allegro Varadero

My friends parents just spent New Years there. They said the resort was nice but was only 50% functional, all the a la cartes were closed, so they had to ear buffet every day. Also i believe they mentioned one side of the hotel was completely closed off.

However prior to leaving they were saying that management was preparing to go full operational, but then again how many times have I heard that and months later the resort still not fully working..