We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

Oakville
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

Hi

I am looking for a high end resort.

Comparing options of Paradisus Princesca Del Mar, Iberostar Veradero and Iberostar Laguna Azul

Need WiFi as I am taking a university on line course

I travel with my little netbook

Last year when to St Lucia and Mexico and had no trouble with WiFi in the lobby area.

Can you tell me which AI might have WiFi for me to survive my school work and vacation at the same time.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

I doubt any exist. If they do, it will be super slow.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

Here are all the WiFi locations that I'm aware of. There's likely a few new places that I don't know about yet, a new one turns up every few months.

Cost ranges from 6 - 12 CUC/hour. A couple of places offer it free to guests. Generally the resorts will not allow you on the property to access the WiFi, but no problems in any of the Havana hotels. Speed is still verrrrrry slow - reconfigure your browser and email accordingly.

Most hotels have a couple of very slow computers available. You can't connect directly with your own laptop.

Bottom line: Cuba is still in the dark ages for Internet, it's WAY worse than almost any other resort destination in the world.

=========================

HAVANA

1.) Hotel Chateau, Miramar.

2.) Melia Cohiba, Vedado.

3.) Melia Habana, Miramar.

4.) Montehabana, Miramar.

5.) NH Parque Central, Vieja.

6.) Panorama, Miramar.

7.) Saratoga, Vieja.

8.) Occidental Miramar, Miramar.

9.) Sevilla Hotel, Vieja.

10.) National, Vedado.

VARADERO

1.) Sandal Royal Hicacos

2.) Barcelo Solymar

3.) Iberostar Varadero

SANTIAGO

1.) Melia Santiago

GUARDALAVACA

1.) Paradisus Rio de Oro

TRINIDAD

1.) Grand Hotel

Cheers,

Terry

montreal
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

Problem is your not going to Mexico or St Lucia as your going to Cuba and if your taking an university course on line then i feel sorry for you ....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

Ditto.

Cheers,

Terry

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Varadero, Windsor
Level Contributor
3,490 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

they have it at Sandals, but you don't want to be on it too long, you'll just get frustrated

Edited: 21 September 2010, 20:58
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

Interesting..I wasnt aware the Iberostar Varadero had wifi... I used the internet room there with 5 dial up computers.. 10cuc for an hour card. I have a feeling they were all working off the same phone line as when all 5 computers had people at them... honestly it would sometimes take upwards of 2 minutes to send an email once I hit "send". It was painful. Other times...11 at night it would be much quicker if I were the only one in the internet room.

Port Coquitlam
Level Contributor
371 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

Darn that internet thing is a killer... several years back there was better access in the hotels than there is now from what I gather! They used to have internet stations at the Sunbeach, with a really easy to bypass security system that let me sit there for hours after hubby went to bed. Last few trips.. nada. The hotels that had the prepaid card systems were either not working or out of cards. I wouldn't want to try doing an online course, but for checking in at home, doing emails etc, for anyone staying in town just go to the phone company office. Decent enough connection, and air conditioned. I did however see a fellow on an ancient laptop picking up a signal in the bar at Cuatro Palmas, so you might get lucky :)

Oakville
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

Thanks for the discussion. There was only one room left at IBV so we had no choice but to book Laguna Azul. I know it is a newer property, but the internet situation is not likely any better. Good tips about going on at hours where there might be less people on to share the line. Gosh. I don's spend lots of time on line. I mostly do my work and just go on to post it. I then need to speed read, get off do my work and get on just to do my post. Oh well. Better than staying here and doing homework. Tough life this travelling! I guess others may kill to have my problems!

montreal
Level Contributor
874 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

hi, Sandals Royal Hicacos has free wifi with good speed. Ask for the person in charge at reception.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there WiFi at any Veradero resorts?

there was one gentleman sitting is a very specific spot by the lobby bar and terrace door at the Melia las Antillas and he was getting some type of reception in March. Recently purchased a netbook, so I think I am going to try it where ever I stay next time out to Varadero.