We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking water in cuba

scotland
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
drinking water in cuba

sorry for asking such a trivial question. but what is the water quality like in cuba.

can you drink the tap water or is it bottled water only.

never been to cuba thats why i'm asking such a noob question.

many thanks :-)

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drinking water in cuba

At a resort, the water should be safe but still not a good idea to drink. Ok to use for brushing teeth, and the ice cubes are made from treated water, so also ok.

Many resorts provide free bottled water to their guests or fill up your bottle for free; if buying bottled water is not that expensive (but usually costs more in the resort store than in town)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drinking water in cuba

It is not recommended that you drink the water in Cuba from the taps in the resort. It's safe to clean your teeth with it, however drink bottled water.

Ice in your drinks is quite safe though.

scotland
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: drinking water in cuba

thanks for answering this question for me. once again this forum and it's users have proved it's value to us all.

much appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,022 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: drinking water in cuba

Water in the taps of the hotels and in some big cities (Varadero, Camaguey, etc) is treated. You could drink it without having major problem. But the thing is that the bacterias in the water in a foreign country is different than the one in your country, so your stomac could be upset and for a one or two weeks vacations, that is not the best...

In the small villages, or in many neighborhoods in Havana and other big towns, I would not recommand to a foreginer to drink the water. It's not unsafe as Cubans drink it without problems, but for someone who's not used to it, it would be too much of a risk in my opinion.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drinking water in cuba

As usual Gengen has come up with the complete answer.

I stay in a town in the countryside and though the water is treated it is stored in a well. These wells are inspected regularly by Government Inspectors who sign the chart that the householder has to keep to show there are no signs of mosquitoes and bacteria.

I wouldn't drink the town's water myself, though I do clean my teeth with it and use it to fill my kettle which I boil to make my coffee.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
770 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drinking water in cuba

bottled water all the way.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drinking water in cuba

i'd stick with bottled water but i did drink the filtered water at the brisas in guama....

Nelson BC
Level Contributor
840 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drinking water in cuba

Every time we've been to Cuba we drink bottles water but never use it for teeth brushing and we have never suffered for it. Have tasted the water and it's fine.

Hasta La Vista

Playa Diego
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: drinking water in cuba

There's one simple rule I follow when traveling, no matter where in the world.

Either drink beer or bottled water!!

Of course if you want to mess around & boil the water that's fine too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drinking water in cuba

Mmmmmmmm. Beeeeeeeer