We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

Toronto
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

People have told me that it's good, but never had it. If anyone has tasted chocolate in Cuba, can you provide a comparison? e.g. as good as Nestle products, or as good as Godiva, etc.

Thanks! :)

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

One word from a chocoholic ...NO, to me it tastes like cooking chocolate!!!

southern ontario
Level Contributor
901 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

I don't really like it either- or Mexican chocolate.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

Nestle chocolate is all over if you like that. It's by far the leading brand in kioskos and supermarkets.

Toronto
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

Haha .. Thanks for your replies! Is it because it's mostly dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate? Just trying to understand what it tastes like.

I couldn't find any where I was in Varadero, but heard I could have bought it at the airport.

Toronto
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

Thanks DonThomas, any local chocolate brands you like there?

Do they sell stuff like Baci or Ferrero Rocher or comparable? And is it relatively expensive to buy?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

We tried some Nestlé chocolate there and it was not good. Even though it was Nestlé, it wasn't the same as here in Canada....it tasted like cooking/cheap chocolate.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

Cuban chocolate is a very high standard chocolate that is used in Canada by professional bakers. I learned that by attending a chocolate festival several times and the top ranked bakers all had large boxes of the Cuban pastilles of chocolate that was incorporated in recipes. They also had similar boxes from African countries. Another time a chef in a cooking school used the same baker's chocolate. Cuba grows chocolate but I learned that most is used for export. I find that as people in many countries have become more accustomed to chocolate with higher percentages of cacao, Cubans seem to welcome more commercial chocolates with higher sugar content. In the shops you are more prone to see Nestle which is imported. The varieties of chocolates are not as varied due to the fact that name brands are imported.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

To me the Nestle tastes the same as everywhere else. Apart from that I can't give you too many chocolate tips. I completely loose my craving for chocolate and candy when in Cuba. Which is good of course :-)

Never seen any Ferrero Rocher, but I don't go to resorts. I wouldn't know if stuff like that is available at some resorts.

Only Cuban produced chocolate I remember trying was from the chocolate factory in Baracoa. Interesting and not bad at al, then again, nothing too special.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,222 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

I haven't had the pleasure of trying Cuban chocolate, but perhaps it doesn't taste as sweet as many people are accustomed to......the references to baking chocolate make me think this. I love good dark chocolate, and usually take some with me to share. My Cuban friends say it is better than what they buy, but that may be just for my benefit. Flattery may get you more chocolate! ;-)

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,268 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cuban chocolate - is it any good?

A lot of chocolate manufactured in Cuba is made with powdered milk, which doesn’t give the “mouth-feel” that cream does. Many of the Nestle products in Cuba are manufactured in Mexico, and Nestle varies its ingredients according to local tastes, so a Nestle product in Canada would not be comparable to a Nestle product in Cuba – even though it may be have the same brand name.