We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes...??

Vancouver Island...
1 post
Save Topic
Snakes...??

I am going to varadero in Feb. and have an extreme snakephobia, more extreme then most...I have blacked out twice on the site of a snake. My question is....are there snakes in the resorts??

I am not planning of going on any safari's or in the wilderness, just staying in the resort; so what's the chances of seeing one. I don't care if they are harmless!!!! I don't want to see any!!

I have tried researching this question and have only come up with cuban wildlife...not helping! With what I have seen on the internet I am actually considering cancelling....I'm that affraid of these things! Afriad is not even justifying how I feel toward the site of one!

Any advice?!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snakes...??

I have never seen any snakes in any Varadero resort area, I have seen many lizards (littles ones)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snakes...??

My wife and I never saw snakes anywhere in Varadero while there. Like ddcuba says we did see a few smaller gecko type lizards scurring around . No Biggy..

CHEERS

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snakes...??

"I am actually considering canceling."

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Well don't go overboard here! I have certainly never heard of any snake problems at any resort area in Cuba. Least not the ones you are referring to. Varadero isn't exactly the jungle. Loads of people everywhere! Bugs, small lizards, drunks, crabs, Frens........well yeah, that could happen. You won't find snakes on the beach, anywho. You've got to get a hold on that fear and remember that they are probably more afraid of you!

P.S.......don't visit the zoo!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snakes...??

It is highly doubtful that you would ever see a snake on a resort in Varadero. I don't think there are very many snakes in Cuba at all, and in 12 trips to Varadero, totalling just over 100 days there, I have never seen a snake.

If you don't like snakes, you would be well advised to stay away from eastern Alberta, however.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snakes...??

CW is absolutely right!

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snakes...??

I read a lot about Cuba before I first visited and according to all reports there are snakes in Cuba but there are no poisonous ones if that helps ease your mind lol. I've never seen or heard of anybody coming into contact with a snake. No matter where you live there are probably some variations of snakes. Even Vancouver has a thriving gardensnake population. It sucks to have such a phobia I absolutely hate snakes and sharks but I wouldn't say I have a phobia. Only thing we worry about in Cuba is the jellyfish because my g/f has a phobia of them. I'm sure you will be fine.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,762 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snakes...??

I've been to Cuba on 40 occasions and never ever seen a snake, on or off resort. No need to worry on that score.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snakes...??

Never seen a one!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snakes...??

Amanda M - Having been there myself, I totally understand your snakeophobia... You would be missing a wonderful country and fantastic people if your phobia of snakes resulted in your cancelling your trip. As said earlier - the snakes are more scared of you than you of them.

I did a TA search and found this link.... tripadvisor.ca/…11074372

I found this link to be VERY informative/educational. And yes - I have overcome my fear of snakes...not to the point where I would ever consider having one as a pet, but enough that I do not become lightheaded or gag at the thought or sight of one....and am proud to admit that I will touch one - occasionally.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snakes...??

My phobia is spiders, so I understand how it feels. But of the few species of snakes that there are in Cuba, I don't think they are very common. Besides, they would tend to stay away from a place like a resort that has so many people around.

And, by the way, Saskatoon. Good for you for overcoming your fear. I'm not there yet. The only way I will touch a spider is with the sole of my boot.