We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cacique beer

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
466 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cacique beer

It seems everywhere I see only Cristal or Bucanero cervezas, but enjoy changing it up and knocking back a few Cacique or Mayabe as well. The more elusive Cuban beers, it seems...

What's the best place to find these latter 2 beers? (I'll be in Varadero but also Matanzas, Cardenas, and a little Havana)..

Thanks, as always, for your input!

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Cacique beer

Joker asked in post #22 about fair practice.

I think so!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Cacique beer

"some places,,, charge the same amount but in national peso if you are Cuban, Rio Canimar park, Che Museum & Croc. farm are some examples."

Actually museums etc charge anyone with a carnet (Cuban identity card) in CUP and the amount is significantly less than the equivalent value in CUC eg. what might be a charge of 10 CUP with a carnet could be 4 CUC for others.

And as several above clarified anyone - tourist or local can obtain both CUP or CUC. However some bars/restaurants only charge in one or the other hence my earlier clarification as to where you will readily find the non-mainstream beers. A CUC bar will almost never take CUP but a CUP bar MAY take CUC.

1 CUC is certainly standard for crystal or bucanero in most parts of Cuba. Less of course for the other beers.

Edited: 19 February 2012, 21:31
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Cacique beer

geez guys...all i wanted was a place to drink something other than crystal lol

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Cacique beer

Nothing about Cuba is ever crystal.............(clear) je je je!

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
466 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Cacique beer

Hey guys...

Wow, 34 posts after I'd left this thread I started yesterday. Thanks!

As some on here are true experts, can you be specific?

What are some bars/stores in Varadero or Cardenas where one could buy Cacique...Mayabe...Tinima (?)...and I've never seen Hatuey, thought it was a long ago discontinued cerveza.

I am with a big group staying in Varadero, we usually rent scooters to roll around Cardenas a bit. Matanzas as well but less so. If I could get a flat of Cacique I would be quite happy...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Cacique beer

You can buy Cacique in the tienda on 13th, just down from the Canadian Consulate, but personally I don't understand the fascination. They're all very light, utterly forgettable watered-down lagers so no big deal...

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Cacique beer

".They're all very light, utterly forgettable watered-down.."

Like most mainstream north american beers of course.

Tiníma does not fit that description btw but is it nice?

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
466 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Cacique beer

Not so much the fascination with watered-down lagers...just wanting to change the flavour on a cervezas-fuelled week!

Even Coors Light would taste good after a week of nothing but Bud Light or Miller Lite.

The tienda on 13th is a CUP store?

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: Cacique beer

Cristal a 'girly beer'?1 Really, I never felt like it tasted that 'light' but it's definately a good holiday beer. Usually drink Bud (not light) in the UK but only in the really large cans/tins as I find it tastes totally different to the bottles and smaller cans (weirdly!).

hfx
Level Contributor
3,951 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Cacique beer

' ".They're all very light, utterly forgettable watered-down.."

Like most mainstream north American beers of course.'

perchance you meant American instead of North American. Shouldn't lump many fine Canadian beers in there