We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

toronto
8 posts
Save Topic
Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

I'm a little confused and any help would be great. So, it seems there used to be a resort called SuperClubs Puntarena made up of two 255 room buildings. The reviews of this hotel are either really good or really bad, but I don't really care about that, I definately don't need luxury. I've stayed in terribly crummy places and still had a great time. Anyhow, now the Superclubs two hotels seem to be divided into two different resorts, the Playa Caleta and the Gran Caribe Club Puntarena. Neither of these are listed here on trip advisor, so I was wondering if anybody had any information about the individual hotels and what is different now that they are seperated. Playa Caleta is sometimes listed as a 4 star on some websites I have noticed. Which one is better? Which one has the swim up bar now that they have apparently built a wall down the centre of the swimming pool? Does anybody have any info. about the Playa Caleta SPECIFICALLY?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

guelph
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

I was wondering exactly the same thing...and have had the same responses as yourself....NONe. actually that isnt tru, i had one reply...when are you going? we are booked for the 11th-18th.

toronto
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

We're booked from Saturday the 12th to Sunday (very early morning) the 20th. I'm booked into the Playa Caleta, not the Gran Caribe Puntarena. It's really weird though, I really can't find very much information on these two (now seperate) resorts. A lot of what I find is contradictory and doesn't make sense.

Oh well, I guess we'll find out when we get there.

Perhaps we'll see you even!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

I just got back yesterday so here is the scoop. The Superclubs used to be the 2 towers with the pool in the middle. Playa Caleta is the one recently acquired by another company. It is in the process of renovations and is probably half full. The Puntarena, I think, has more facilities and probably a little more action as well. I felt it was clean and the staff very friendly. You are barely in your room anyways and it is sufficient for my needs. They don't have a swim up bar but it's no biggie to get drinks. The disco is fairly quiet but the entertainment team organizes a bus to take partiers to various clubs every night. It arrives around 11:30 and for $15 doesn't come back til 3 and this includes entrance and drinks. Have a great time!

toronto
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

Sorry, SarahLeah, did you stay at the Puntarena or the Playa Caleta?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

Puntarena

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

I am having the same trouble. We are staying at the Playa Caleta from Feb 20th-27th. We booked through tripcentral.ca and I just called my agent the other day to try and clear things up. I am reading some recent bad reviews for superclubs punterana on trip advisor, but I'm not sure if they are talking about the Grand Caribe or Playa Caleta. My travel agent didn't know much about the split. She said she would get back to me.

The complaints have been mostly about the food. When we booked I didn't know anything about the split. I assumed I had full use of the whole resort.

When are you going?

toronto
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

stkittsgirl...i'm pretty sure the reviews on tripadvisor here are referring to the puntarena. if they were staying in the caleta, they wouldn't find anything searching for it here. i don't know much more than you probably. i only know that the playa caleta got the bigger portion of the pool, with the swim up bar. which i guess is a good thing, yeah? yeah. i'm sure both hotels are fine, unless people are very uptight and need to bathe in honey.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

scudmore

I'm sure we'll make the best of it. You make your own good time. When are you going?

Calgary
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

I am sorry I have no answer for you, but I am very curious too! I went there last year and had a great time. I would like to know if you have use of both hotels as in the advertisements it states 2 buffet, 3 a la cart, ect. The lobby bar was the place to hang out and this is the part I would like to stay in. It also had the piano bar, but I also liked the swim up pool. I would really like some answers as well. When you get back can you please let us know. From Greatly appriciated!!

toronto
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Caleta/Gran Caribe Club Puntarena

bec89...i'm pretty sure you don't get use of both hotels, the way you used to before the hotels divided. now apparently they have divided the grounds and pool up between the two towers, using plants on the paths and a wall of some kind in the pool. but hey, whatever. i'm not concerned. i'll definately let you know exactly what to expect when i return though.