We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

I've seen lots of references to the Varadero Hop On - Hop Off bus. I have some questions after looking at a number of posts.

Is there only one route? I found this link in one of the posts:

particuba.net/villes/…_MatanzasBusTour.html

The route seems to go from the last resort on the Varadero peninsula to Matanzas taking 1.5 hours one way. Or is there another one that just goes up and down the peninsula?

Has the cost gone up from 5 $CUC to 10 $CUC? If that link is the only route that would appear to be the case...

Is there any other public transportation that the resort workers might use? Or, does the resort provide buses for them?

Last, does the bus come right in to the resort front entrance or do you have to walk out to the highway to catch it?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

Their is two buses one is Varadero Bus Tour and the other Matanzas Bus tour. The Varadero one still costs 5 CUC per person for all day use.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
782 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

Depends which resort you are at but most of the resorts you will have to walk to the nearest stop.

When we were there last Jan. they had 4 buses running the route from one end of town all the way to the other end of the penninsula and back to town again. It took roughly 2 hours to do the whole route. Bring a six pack, some cigars and enjoy all the scenery. We do that a couple of times a week when there just for a change of pace. Cheap tour IMO as it is only $5 CUC for the whole day 9am-9pm :)

Remember to keep your ticket everytime you get off the bus as you can use it again to get back on as many times a day as you want.

Northampton
Level Contributor
447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

As Hockey Nut says keep your ticket if you want to use it again that day. The driver and his tour assistant will try and ask you for it back so they can sell it on and pocket the profit.

We kept hold of ours even though we weren't going to be using the bus again that day and gave them to a member of staff so they could use it to get home.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

Thanks for the tips. I see a schedule for the bus that goes to Matanzas. Is there any kind of a schedule for the one that stays on the peninsula? Any way to distinguish the two buses apart other than the price of the ticket?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

The buses are different in color..

Have a look at this pic..

stefanomolinari.com/varadero-beach-tour-bus-…

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

Thanks for that. Looks like I have to look for the bus that says Beach Tour.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

Do these buses start at the Barcelo? Just wondering at what location is a good chance to get the upper seats?

St Thomas
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

Lots of people get off down by the markets around calle 14 . If you wait up top standing usually you can pick up some upper seats depending on the crowds . We found the earlier morning buses werent as busy . If you sit on the outer seat curb side up top be aware of the tree branches that will slap you in the face . Peter

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

I think most resorts provide buses for their staff to get to work and home again at the end of their shift. Hubby and I visit friends who live in Camarioca - we take a cab out and then catch the staff bus back...drops us off at the lobby of our resort.

If you are riding the hop on/hop off bus up and down the peninsula, you may see OLD empty buses sitting on the side of the road. We wondered about these buses and then asked our friends - these are the staff buses that are parked until it is shift change and time to take staff home. I would think that there would be one or two buses from each community that would shuttle staff back and forth.

Denise

Edited: 04 December 2012, 10:37
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hop On - Hop Off Bus - Current Cost, Route?

Here's a tip: You will find that the Hop On Hop Off buses are quite full as they get closer to town, and as they are leaving town on the way out towards the resorts. The upper deck will probably be full. If you have the time going to and from town, take a bus going in the opposite direction to where you are going. The bus will empty as it heads to the end of the loop, and you will have lots of seats to choose from. You'll probably also see so much more of Varadero than otherwise.