We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Tours in Dominica

Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Tours in Dominica

Will be arriving in Dominica on a cruise 2-19-13 and wondering if taxis are available for island tours. Something to hit the highlights and scenic areas of the area. About four time frame and possible average price. Thank You

Ontario
Level Contributor
138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Tours in Dominica

I have never tried a shore excursion in Dominica yet other then one that was arranged buy the cruise ship. I have however taken many taxis in Dominica, all good experiences, and can assure you that taxis drivers/tour guides are present when the cruise ships come in. Contacts can be found on this site.

www.visit-dominica.com/queryall2.cfm…

Denver, Colorado
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Tours in Dominica

Hi! I am excited to tell you about our taxi experience on Dominica 1 week ago during our Caribbean cruise with Norwegian. We arrived in Dominica with nothing planned and were immediately surrounded by local taxi drivers quoting you a price per person and showing you all the places they were going to take you. We luckily fell upon a taxi driver named "Bobby." His first name I believe is Fitzgerald, but I will confirm this for you if you want. For a group of 9 people we paid $35.00 a person for the time of our lives and the best island experience out of the 5 islands we visited. We only had 2 of us to start and grabbed other people from our cruise ship looking for something to do to fill Bobby's van to keep the price low.

Bobby was a DREAM!!! He was full of fun, energy and amazing facts about the island, it's history, it's economy and agriculture. He stopped everywhere for us. We swam underneath a waterfall, tried local coconut candies, visited a local fruit stand where you sample fresh fruits and sugarcane grown on the island and you can leave a tip, but it is at no cost. We visited the natural hot springs and soaked in the sulfur springs with Bobby. Bobby stopped along our trip to pick lemon grass and cinnamon plants and passed it around the van for us to smell. He stops for every picture you want and will take all the pictures of you that you want. We visited the famous bus smashed by a tree in a historical hurricane back in 1979. We drove through towns and saw local schools where the children wear uniforms. All the people on Dominica were so welcoming and friendly and were happy we were there. All other islands we visited we did not receive such a warm welcome. (St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia & St. Maarten) You will not receive a better experience from anyone else. I recommend you ask around for Bobby when you arrive. I will send you pictures if you would like. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Have fun!

Kristin

lostingodslove@gmail.com

Denver, Colorado
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Tours in Dominica

Further, our experience with doing the shore excursions the cruise ships provide were about 5x worse and more expensive than what we could find on our own. Let me know if you are visiting any of the following islands and I can give you some advice on what to do.

St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten.

West New York, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Tours in Dominica

Another response echoing that you'll be way ahead of the game if you work with a local certified guide and taxi driver as opposed to setting something up on th cruise ship. I visited Dominica in early June and, using the same guide every day, had the experience of my life. He had me hiking, swimming in natural pools and rivers and under waterfalls, tasting all the local fare and practically climbing trees myself to gather up coconuts, grapefruits, papaya, mangoes et al. He too , like Bobby mentioned above, was extremely informative about his island, and, most of all, proud of his heritage He'd tailor design your day based on what you want to do.

My cousins just returned from a cruise on the Queen Mary and spent a wonderful several that I arranged for them.

If you want any additional info on this particular person I'd be glad to hear back from you and share his contact information.

However and with whomever you get around, enjoy Dominica. It is a very special place.

FIMH

Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Tours in Dominica

Thanks to all for your responses. If any of the guides you worked with have an email address, I would love to have it. Getting off the ship and trying to find a special single guide would be quite tough. Thanks again.

peoples republic of...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Tours in Dominica

try to find a taxi driver by the name of mathew augustine. He's very sweet, reliable, reasonably priced and a very good driver.

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Tours in Dominica

Well, you my try to find Bobby, but don't worry if you won't.

Dominica is safe, and drivers generally are honest, they stick to agreed pricing and are quite honourable people. You may gfind your own "Bobby" worth recommending to others. I visited Dominica many times. I do have my favourite driver or two, but you can't go much wrong going by your instinct. You will see lots of drivers asking if you need a ride around. close to entrance to the berth - it is a bit like a zoo. Too many people, too noisy. take your time, walk around for a few moments, step out of main crowd.

Just talk to one you will feel good about. I am sure you will enjoy Dominica.

Cheers!

West New York, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Tours in Dominica

Sorry I didn't get back to you about Sea Cat --- the guide I wrote you about. Again, don't worry about finding him --- or any one --- as it's quite easy. If you've arranged something in advance he'll advise exactly how to connect. As noted previously, he hooked up with my cousins and they had a wonderful time with him. Normally I wouldn't set up in advance for a quide but I truly recommend it in this case. He's supposedly one of the best.

Anyway, just google SEA CAT TOURS, DOMINICA to get some info or go directly to seacat55@hotmail.com. Dominica is a wonderful magical place. Enjoy. I can't wait to go back.

Peosta, Iowa
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Tours in Dominica

Please send me taxi info so I can reserve one???? thank you so very much .. we love to take photos's and this sounds like the best way to do just that and learn about the island,, any info would be appreciated.. thank you

West New York, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Tours in Dominica

Google Sea Cat Tours, dominica or contact directly seacat55@hotmail.com.

Spent 12 days in June in Dominica and 5 using Sea Cat as guide. He was recommended to me as one of the top guides on the island and, obviously, he didn't disappoint. Dominica is a beautiful and magical place and Sea Cat will design a tour based on your interests. But be prepared --- he'll have plenty of input and offer plenty of fun and information.

Good luck.