We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations for the Dominican Republic? (I'm from Canada)

Quebec, Cananda
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations for the Dominican Republic? (I'm from Canada)

Good afternoon!

My husband and I are going to Puerto Plata in January (leaving Jan. 10). We are getting all kinds of information on vaccinations/medications... I thought I could post my questions here, since many of you are experienced travelers :) Here goes:

- Are there any MANDATORY vaccinations we should get before going to the DR? What about RECOMMEDED ones? (I should mention that we do not plan on leaving the facility - Iberostar Costa Dorada).

- Some people say we need to take pills for malaria, others said it's a shot... Can someone tell me more about this?

- Are we too late to get vaccinated? (since we,re leaviing in 4 weeks?)

- Suppose my husband and I do not get vaccinated... Aside from local water/ice, what should be avoid food and drink-wise?

Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

Hélène

brantford, ontario...
Level Contributor
713 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations for the Dominican Republic? (I'm from Canada)

you do not need enerything i have been there ten times just never drink there water just drink bottle water everthing will be great for you and you can go off the resort very safe me and my wife will be there jan 29 09

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
542 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations for the Dominican Republic? (I'm from Canada)

We go to the DR every year and have yet to get any kind of vaccination. I know Twinrix is available but not sure of the timing for your shots (I think you get them 6 months apart before you go???)

I would not bother with Malaria pills if you are staying on resort. Even going on an excursion you'd be ok. There was a case or two of malaria in Punta Cana I belive?? Not Puerto Plata. The resorts all spray for bugs.

We use bottled water to brush our teeth also. Watch out for undercooked meat. All of the ice in drinks is safe. Be careful if you eat off resort.

Other than that....you should be fine.

Scarborough
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations for the Dominican Republic? (I'm from Canada)

Hep "A" shots are recommended. When was the last time you had a tetnus??? You are best to talk to your Doctor about these and any other meds you may need. Our Doc gives us Malaria pills each time we go to Punta Cana.

Best advice you can get on this matter is from your Doc.!!! Everyone haS their own thoughts on these matters but for me i say "BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY".

4. Re: Vaccinations for the Dominican Republic? (I'm from Canada)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 09:17