We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

Rome
Level Contributor
36 posts
232 reviews
Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

Hello, can someone give us advice on this drive. My initial idea was to go via Constanza to admire the scenery but I am having second thoughts. Google has it as a 6.5 hour drive which we could just manage if it is really worth it. Is it beautiful? Are there amazing places to see en route? Is Google being optimistic and not considering mountain roads?

Is the only alternative taking the highway back to Santo Domingo (5.5 hours on Google) or are there any other picturesque options?

We have rented a small SUV.

Thanks,

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

This would be a long and strenuous drive. If you want scenic routes then take 2 days, lunch stop in Jarabacoa or Constanza and overnight in Valle Nueva.. maybe here http://villapajon.do/home.html Then drive through Valle Nueva the following day, stopping in San Jose de Ochoa or Azua for lunch and then to Barahona. The mountains are spectacular in the DR but do not expect to make good time :) Happy travels, Ben

Rome
Level Contributor
36 posts
232 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

Thanks Ben, unfortunately we don't have two days - unless we cut one of two nights in Samana but I've been told one night there is not enough! I think for this time we'll just have to be less ambitious and take the autopista. Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
1 review
3. Re: Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

As nice as the SW coast is, combing it with Samana is too much unless you have a few weeks. So much to see in both areas.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
1 review
4. Re: Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

I might suggest a stop at Jarabacoa instead.

Rome
Level Contributor
36 posts
232 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

We will be staying 2 nights in santo domingo 5 nights with friends at PC and 3 nights at the end of our trip in South West. We have 3 nights left over which I thought we would divide between Samana peninsula and driving down to barahona. I thought we could do one night in Puerto plata. But obviously I am being too ambitious. Is Puerto Plata a must? Would it be better to just head down to barahona directly from Samana? We would be driving up and down the same route or are there alternatives? Thank you for precious advice!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
1 review
6. Re: Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

Still a lot of driving. How about Bayahibe?

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
172 reviews
7. Re: Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

Constanza and JArabocao are really nice but driving there is a challenge. It can get foggy and expect to have trucks with veggies in front of you and its very dangerous to pass them.

Why Barahona? Or you want to go to Bahia de las Aguilas?

I think Puerto Plata is a bit over rated unless you want to go up the Teleferico and Ocean World and maybe Monkey Jungle.

You would save time if you go from Samana to Santo Domingo. Take the DR7 toll road and go to Barahon if that's something you really like to do.

Bahayibe would be a nice alternative (with or without Isla Saona).

Rome
Level Contributor
36 posts
232 reviews
8. Re: Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

Thanks for this advice. Based on this we have decided to skip Puerto Plata and spend 3 nights in Samana. The last in Las Terrenas so we can get an early start for our drive down to - actually not Barahona but a place near Paraiso which has been highly reccomended and is a good base for exploring Bahia delLas Aguilas, Enrequillo lake etc

I know it will be faster to drive back to Santo Domingo but we will have already come that way. I have seen a slightly longer route down via Cotui and San Jose de Ocoa which would skip SD and may be more interesting. Also presumablywe will be spared the traffic by avoiding SD .

This is my map link: https://goo.gl/maps/BpkkGuFNrjr

If anyone thinks it is a really BAD idea please let me know!

Thanks all

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

I would wish to have some guidance from someone who has traveled this route. Many of the highways in the DR are slow with many many potholes and small villages to traverse. Also it makes me a bit dubious when google earth has no street view of a highway :) It may help you to post on DR1 , which is a DR related website with many expats and actual dominicans who live in the country or travel there often. here is the link ( just need to get a free sign up to post) http://dr1.com/forums/forum.php good luck... good planning makes for a smooth trip :) Ben

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
1 review
10. Re: Driving from Puerto Plata to Barahona

Going the back way via Cotui, etc. will take time and is subject to some serious potholes. You'll probably make a wrong turn here and there. I got 2 flats last time I did it.

I'd go Toll road to SD and then across. Still a long ride but not back roads. all the way.

Get answers to your questions about Santo Domingo