We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip advice for Santo Domingo

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
My trip advice for Santo Domingo

When you get to the airport there are 2 lines .... to the right is the Visitors side and the the left is the Dominican passport side.

Usually there is free wifi for 15 minutes at the foodcourt upstairs (very slow though) .

I find that Uber is a little cheaper and more direct (no haggling) to get to your destination. Many guys will ask you and taxi ? Taxi? Taxi ? At every corner you turn... try not to feel overwhelmed .

Tilling is usually not expected at local restaurants. if you leave even 2 dollars they will be very appreciative.

I feel like the best way to enjoy santo domingo is to have a local mentality . The historic conde is very nice if you are into colonial era architecture and hot weather.

Go to a local colmado and sit and enjoy a presidente or some Ron Barcelo with sprite (how i notice they drink it)

You would think being on an island its seafood galore.... but its not. Of course there is seafood available but doesnt mean its good. I prefer maine lobster are carribean lobsters are not as sweet or meaty. The local food is usually rice beans and a stewed protein( chicken pork chicken) . Alot of the country is very poor and this what is available, filling and cheap. I love it !! So good.

Instead of asking your hotel where to eat .. ask where is a good "comedor" which is a local sit down place where you see teachers nurses and doctors and locals eating lunch.

It is filling and only like 4 USD. Santo domingo is mostly barrios , historic center and the actual city. There can be sooo much traffic. The lifestyles in DR is either mountain side , city life , beach or poor inner city( which there is nothing to see and you will know when yoh are there because dirt roads and it looks iffy)

There is a huge influx of Venezuelans in DR which to my delight varies the cuisine a bit. Mangu is eaten for breakfast with los 3 golpes ( salami , cheese and egg all fried) .

The cuisine is simple so complicate it .

Any other questions feel free to ask here or send me a message . I would be delighted to help

17 replies to this topic
cincinnati
Level Contributor
39 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip advice for Santo Domingo

Thanks for the report. I'm torn between here and San Jose Costa Rica. Did Uber pick up at the airport? Anything good to do while there? I understand the beach is not that great unless you go to Boca Chica.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip advice for Santo Domingo

Uber's presence in SD is pretty big. We use it all the time so that's the good part. Make sure you have a sim with your phone for data.

The beach is pretty non existent in SD like you said but boca chica is very nice. It's inexpensive and you get to enjoy it very much. There are many guides about the city but it all depends what you like to do. I would say if you haven't yet try SD first.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip advice for Santo Domingo

Hello, thanks for the info. I'm traveling next month (March) and I've never been to DR. I'm flying into Santo Domingo airport put by hotel is in Samana. The hotel said I could take a taxi for $150 per person one way. I'm a woman traveling by myself. I'm ok traveling by myself but since I've never been to DR, I'm not sure what to expect. I thought about renting a car. It seems to be less expensive. Thoughts? Thanks!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip advice for Santo Domingo

For posts 1 and 2 I would say that Boca Chica is the armpit of the DR. Too much crime and rip offs.

Stacey, I would not suggest a car rental. You can easily take the Bus if you land daytime or take a cab or transfer for the best and safest ride.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip advice for Santo Domingo

I also agree Boca Chica is best avoided. - certainly worth the effort to go to Samana as well.

The area to stay in Santo Domingo is the Zona Colonial which is small and walkable.

IMO Santo Domingo has the edge over San Jose Costa Rica.- especially in terms of music and dance,

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip advice for Santo Domingo

Thank you. Can I take the bus from the airport? Do you know How long the bus typically takes to Samana?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: My trip advice for Santo Domingo

From SDQ you will need to take a Taxi to the bus stop at the entrance to the Samana Toll Road. Caribe tours has like five departures/day. The last one is at 4:30, fare is 340 RD

Elk Grove...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My trip advice for Santo Domingo

somehow we have to arrive to Santo Domingo from Punta Cana after our stay ( Cheapest flight ticket ) plus I wanted to see SD. Any recommendation on what to do. Family of 5 with small kids. we will be staying for 2 nights before heading back to the USA.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: My trip advice for Santo Domingo

Take the Bavaro Express bus to SD and stay in and visit the Colonial Zone.

Elk Grove...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My trip advice for Santo Domingo

any hotels close by and close to t he airport ? thank you

Reply to: My trip advice for Santo Domingo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted