We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

Toms River
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

We had to make a travel change and have to fly into Santo Domingo but our resort is in Puerto Plata. We've rented a car and my husband is pretty experienced in driving in all kinds of areas; Mexico, Bahamas, etc. I've been reading some pretty scary stuff about driving in the Dominican. Is it safe, or is this blown way out of proportion?

Toms River
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

How do I make reservations on Caribe Tours Bus Service on line when the only site I see is in Spanish?

Toms River
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

I also heard that sometimes luggage doesn't make it to you destination on some of the airlines. Is this true?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,235 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

You do not need reservations on the bus but you can do so on the site. And yes it is in Spanish.

Remember to check the schedule as the last but leaves at 7:30 or so.

Luggage can be lost by the airlines and they should deliver it to your hotel the next day. We lost ours once coming to the norht coast and i did not see my suitcase until day 4.

Metro has nicer buses and makes fewer stops so trip is 30-45 min quicker. Caribe tours however may be talked into stopping outside your hotel.

BObK

Toms River
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

Which bus do you prefer?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,166 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

You have to do Caribe Tours. Metro won't stop at Lifestyles.

It is always a possibility that you luggage will arrive late, but an unlikely one. We have had guests with luggage that didn't arrive, but the airline sent is to Cabarete as soon as it did. Alwaysna good idea to pack a change of clothes in your carry on

Silvia

El Cerrito...
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

Hi, I did this myself last year as a woman traveling alone. The buses are safe as milk; very very safe and comfortable and convenient. I sat next to local women and we conversed all the way. All the bus info for getting across the island is correct as I experienced it. I had a terrible time getting the cab price DOWN to only $30--everyone wanted tocharge me $40-$50. I finally had to walk away ,rolling my suitcase, telling them in Spanish that I would take the local bus out on the main highway for a couple dollars, instead of their cab.

They let me walk away half a block, then ran to get me and said "Ok, $30 to the bus station." Once you are get out at the bus station in Puerto Plata, you can just walk to the main road and wait for the next local bus (65centsUS). they come along every 15 minutes or so it seems. Very good service, one fare no matter how far you are going locally; the hotel was at least 6 miles up the road but it only cost me 65cents. After I stayed there a week I asked a cab driver what he'd charge back to the bus station: $25 was his answer.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
108 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

I`ve heard of many tourists driving all the way from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata and they made it safely, but I understand why most will say avoid it. If you are familiar with driving in other similar destinations, or you`re a really good driver, you`ll make it. Just never do it at night time, ever. regarding Metro and Caribe Tours, the price difference says it all, Metro has a higher rate but executive buses, a bit higher end.

Los Angeles...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

We have a very late flight from Santo Domingo and are staying at Lifestyles, around 2am. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel in Santo Domingo either near the bus station or the airport?

19. Re: Driving from SDQ to Lifestyle Beach Resort, Puerto Plata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Santo Domingo