We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

England, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

Hi Everyone. I am trying to find the easiest way to get to Puerto Plata from the UK when there are no direct flights. Can you fly from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata or Santiago? If so, which company? Has anyone else researched a way to get to Puerto Plata indirectly?

46 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
265 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

I had a quick look and think the cheapest option would be to fly to Germany and go Eurowings from Cologne to PP

I believe the flights from PC to PP are around £300 PP and would be the following day as well

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
43,617 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

There are no direct domestic flight between PUJ & POP only private hire twin engine flights which cost a fortune.

When I was researching Thomas Cook had flights with their partner airlines Jet Blue or Lufthansa but this was this summer, don't know what will be available for 2019.

Angie.

Pershore, England...
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

Hi Angelina, I seem to recall that one of your favourites is ICD. Have you given up on going there now?

England, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

Thanks Angie. Please can you tell me where you found this? When I go into Thomas Cook it says nothing after May.

England, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

Thanks Paul. I saw Eurowings but am a bit worried as they seem to have a lot of delays which could cause problems with connections and also not sure about low cost carriers and comfort on a long haul flight

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

I’ve looked but you need to get connecting flights

Go from here to the states then on to puerto plata

It costs a fortune to do that

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,617 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

Holidayamigo

Just checked once again on Thomas Cook Airlines website and low and behold you are right no flights after May, when I checked there were flights for the whole of this year (Summer) now they have been taken off. Very strange !

Angie.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,617 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

Hi Helen,

Unfortunately yes it seems as though I will have to give up on the ICD since the direct flights have been pulled from the UK as I could not bare to travel to Europe then take a flight to POP. Too much of a fuss and those extra hours travelling in the wrong direction before having to travel backwards to get ones destination.

Plus there are so many other places in the Caribbean to visit and new routes to other destinations now on TUI schedule to try out and see I feel it has to be done and the time is right to spread my wings even though I take two long haul holidays a year. Yes I fell in love with the ICD and their staff and the area but now is the time to sadly say goodbye until they reinstate flights.

Angie.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

I remember seeing flights from Amsterdam which would be very good for us. 10 mins to Liverpool airport, several flights daily to Amsterdam. However. These flights have now stopped so back to drawing board. Hopefully, as new hotels open, there may be changes.

Edited: 13 March 2018, 10:45
Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop

I think we will still go but probably once every 3 years , and will look at flying to America with a stop over , then onto PP. Not ideal but if that's what it is then so be it.

We don't like the thought of not going again , and are so angry at TUI but i guess it's business.

I have looked and spent ages researching other routes etc , but nothing is easy.

Foxy

Reply to: Getting to Puerto Plata after UK flights stop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Plata