We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

Canada
Level Contributor
978 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

Hello, We always hear the terrible stories and awful reviews and discouragements about renting car in DR. We barely see a good review or anything of that nature which makes me wonder about how all the car rental companies are running their business? There must be people renting ... Where are they with not too bad (or maybe good) experience?

I want to hear from you! I hate not renting a car specially as my time in DR will be limited and I want to see as much as possible without wasting time on checking / booking buses.

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

We have been in P P several times, have not & would not rent a car.

The horror stories you read on here are very rea,l book a taxi or bus, in the end

it will probably be a lot cheaper & a lot less hassle

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

I suggest you take a taxi to your hotel from the airport and see the driving and traffic for yourself. You can then hire a car from your hotel if you decide to go ahead.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,492 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

You can not compare car rentals or road conditions in the DR to any in North America. I have visited Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba and St Lucia and they are all places I would rent and attempt to self drive. However after 6 trips to the DR in 4 different areas of the country I would NEVER attempt to drive myself. There are no rules, imagine 20 vehicles, trucks, cars and scooters all playing chicken at the same intersection. And the tourist is always at fault and goes to jail until it’s sorted out. ( means you pay $$). I have better things to do than deal with the corrupt police system while on vacation.

Watch some YouTube videos

https://youtu.be/PDTBXhR_Gf8

https://youtu.be/Sf77HHQLNvY

Edited: 09 August 2018, 13:42
Canada
Level Contributor
978 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

Thank you all. I have heard and read and seen all you mentioned but yet to find someone who actually rented a car and had a good time. Please don't tell me every tourist who rents a car ends up in a bad situation. I just want those with good experience to come forward.

PS. I have driven in places with 0 rules, no intersections or red lights or even a stop sign but that was a decade ago when I was younger :)

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

There may be a reason nobody with a good experience renting a car in the D R answered.

Just sayin

Canada
Level Contributor
978 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

Or people usually post things when they go through bad experiences and don't care sharing the good ones. Maybe driving in big cities is a disaster but how about between PP and Sousa or even from SD to PC?

Anyway, I am not going to rent but just wanted to see if there is a single person with a good experience. LOL

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

I say go ahead. Rent darn thing. Drive like you drive in Manhattan or Miami for that matter: with eyes open! I rent every time I go to DR and never had a problem. By the honk to get motorcycles out of your way. Enjoy yourself in DR. Face your fears!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

Don’t know if I’m too late with my reply but we have a hired car atm. I hired online from the UK. I paid £179 for what I thought was a deposit on a 5-seater only to be told when I got to the airport that it was a different company that I paid the ‘deposit’ to from the company who supplies the car and they then charged me £380 for the 2 weeks plus another $200 for fully comprehensive insurance!!! Rip off!!

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.

Of course there ARE people who rent a vehicle and have a trouble free experience. I spoke to a group of young lads from the UK a few years ago who rented a vehicle in Cabarete and drove to Samana to go whale watching. They had a pleasant drive with no issues. But they didn't have to go through any really busy towns and the drive is pretty straight forward. However, they didn't know any of the scary stuff, like going straight to jail in the event of a serious accident until fault is determined etc.

If you are doing a Risk Assessment, and asking for advice, then the simple answer is 'don't do it'. The risk is high that you will at best, get ripped off by a hire company, at worst be in a serious incident. The only way to mitigate the risks on the road is to use someone who is experienced (taxi driver) and who isn't going to rip you off etc.

But if you believe the risk is worth it, off you go, and be careful!

As for mopeds, people who rent those are complete morons, unless they regularly ride a proper motorbike back home, in which case they are just 'probably a bit dumb'!

Reply to: Did you rent a car in PP? Please share your experience.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted