We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations Dominican republic

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
vaccinations Dominican republic

I am travelling to D.R in two weeks. Does anyone know if I need to tale malaria tablets.We are staying in a villa near Puerto Plata. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations Dominican republic

hi there

for insurance puposes take the malaria tabs cheap from most chemists called avcolor taken 2 once a week and start one week before you go and 4 weeks after you get back and taken on same day chosen at the start any thing else you need to know let me know ill answer if i can also angie will be along very soon who also can answer most ???? have a good one take care

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
41,964 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations Dominican republic

Hi tintin,

Always take the advice of your own GP or Practise Nurse as they know your medical history.

BUT

My insurance clearly states that I am not covered for any claim in the case of my failure to obtain any recommended vaccines, inocculations or medications prior to my trip. Better to be safe than sorry. So I would look into your travel insurance.

Angie.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations Dominican republic

I'm not aware of vaccinations? Is this something I should look into? I'm coming from the United States?

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
41,964 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccinations Dominican republic

Hi joannewayne,

Yes I would look into it and go and see your health provider if I was you, here is a website Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which will give you more info until you contact your health provider.

…cdc.gov/travel/…dominican-republic.aspx

Angie.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vaccinations Dominican republic

As far as:

Malaria - this is your choice depending on insurance and your GP however no malaria cases in the PP area in many many years

Vaccinations - You should be up to date on Hepititis A and B as well as your tetnaus.

BObK

6. Re: vaccinations Dominican republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 00:18