We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata vs Punta Cana vs Samana

Which Puerto Plata hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Plata vs Punta Cana vs Samana

My wife and I stayed at Natura Park in Punta Cana last year and loved it. we are planning a trip back to DR next week.

Where should we visit...Puerto Plata, Punta Cana or Samana? which is nicer and why.....thanks for any help

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata vs Punta Cana vs Samana

Richard I can't really say any thing about Punta Cana since we have never been there. I have seen Samana but have never stayed there and it is beautiful, we are members at Lifestyles in Puerto Plata and usually go there. The resorts in Puerto Plata are very nice most of the beaches are good the people are extremely friendly and helpful. There are a lot of different excursions and the city is nice to tour.

I guess it all depends on what you want in your holiday.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata vs Punta Cana vs Samana

I've never been to Punta Cana but have stayed in Puerto Plata a number of times.Its a good place with some nice beaches. The hotels are aging but some are well kept.Puerto Plata is close for shopping and night life.

Samana is nicer with rolling hills, I stayed at El Portillo and it was great.

Not much to do for night life, but a great hotel with a great beach.

I like both Puerto Plata and Samana although my preference would be

Samana.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
905 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata vs Punta Cana vs Samana

I've been to both Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, never had the chance to visit Samana yet. It really depends on what you are looking for....if you like newer resorts, white sand and prefer to stay close to the resort than Punta Cana is probably your best bet. If you want to get off the resort and experience the real DR definitely go to Puerto Plata. There is so much more to do there, and several other towns close by to visit. Best of all it's easy to explore on your own there, no need to pay big money for excursions. Although I do recommend taking the excursion to Monkey Jungle! I guess you can see that I prefer POP:) I only visited Punta Cana once and that was enough....I've been visiting Puerto Plata at least once a year for the last 6 years!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
357 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Plata vs Punta Cana vs Samana

I have been to all three. They offer different things. Here is my opinion, in order of preference:

Samana offers some cool activities like whale watching, the Los Haitises national park and the zipline was awesome. I stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa which was a nice quiet hotel with direct access to the bridge to nowhere. The beach was not spectacular but everything else made up for it. Definitely prefer Samana.

Punta Cana has beautiful beaches but there's not that much to do there so if you want a good quality hotel and want to relax and enjoy, this is the spot. I stayed at the Be Live there. The hotel was good and the only complain I had there was the annoying Lifestyles salesmen. You can still do some cool excursions but it's not cheap. And speaking of cheap...

Puerto Plata is sort of the cheap option, in my opinion. I loved the Monkey Jungle and the cable car but apart from that, the whole thing was very "meh". I will not complain because it was a good deal for the busiest time of the year so if you go there, keep in mind that it's cheap and that you're still on a beach, having fun. I stayed at the Be Live there too. Was a bit disappointed by it, especially the customer service, after staying at the Be Live in PC. BUT it was definitely a good bang for the buck. Oh, and it does not have to be cheap if you decide to get sucked into buying a timeshare so watch out for that, haha

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Plata vs Punta Cana vs Samana

Bavaro Beach Area of Punta Cana is my favorite spot. Awesome beach that is NEVER red flagged.

You can walk the beach past many many other resorts, its white sand.

It will cost you a little more than POP or samana but well worth the trip.

Lost of excursions to do all types. A nice safe area in the Dominican, another option is LaRomana, its on the other side of the island & is about 1hr away from the Punta Cana airport. You can visit Catelona & Soania Islands much easier from LaRomana.. One of the islands is where Rambo was fillmed! Great snorkeling off of both.

POP is my least fav of all areas in the DR.

Happy Travels!

6. Re: Puerto Plata vs Punta Cana vs Samana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 01:17