We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Romana vs Punta Cana

Calgary
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
La Romana vs Punta Cana

I am trying to decide where to stay in the DR and would really appreciate some in-sights. What we really like is great beaches with calmer water, and if there is snokeling off the beach so much the better. The color of the sand does not matter.

We stayed at the Mayan Riviera and found the ocean just a little too rough unless the resort had a man made protected cove.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,410 posts
1 review
1. Re: La Romana vs Punta Cana

La Romana is very nice and has the added benefit of a real local Dominican Town to explore/visit. PC is just a collage of AI resorts.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
507 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: La Romana vs Punta Cana

If you go to PC, and want to go on an excursion, you will probably be bussed down to Bayahibe or LaRomana area, since that is where most of the interesting areas of the DR are. Dreams LR is on a nice beach where the wind mainly blows off shore so the wave action is almost nil. You can snorkle from shore and see lots of fish. A short 10 minute walk down the shore to Bayahibe brings you to the launch off point for all the bus excursions where they take the PC tourists to the National Park/Saona Island.

Try to avoid travel on the roads in DR. The traffic is crazy. My vote is to fly into LaRomana and stay at Dreams LR.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: La Romana vs Punta Cana

i am looking to go to punta cana or la romana wondering wich beach has the calmer water

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: La Romana vs Punta Cana

The Punta Cana coast is long so along it you have pockets of calm and busier beaches. Though when the weather kicks up you can get wave action in La Romana, I'd say that on average it's calmer in La Romana. I've seen calm days in parts of Bavaro Beach in Punta Cana that made standing in the waves a challenge. When the waves are big in La Romana, it makes a nice change, but more often than not it's calmer. Snorkeling from the beach is much better at the Bayahibe hotels of the south coast since you need both calm waters AND a reef systems close to shore.

The best from-the-hotel snorkeling in the country is at Dreams La Romana. Its cove makes it have the calmest water I've seen in the country too.

Kaki

england
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: La Romana vs Punta Cana

Dreams La Romana ( which is just outside Bayahibe ) has the calmest , clearest blue water we've ever seen on the mainland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMI4aTfeWZU

Cabeza de Toro , in the PC area comes a close second.

Sparky

PS, The vid was taken on a very cloudy day . When the sun's shining it's even better.

Edited: 22 October 2011, 05:54
england
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: La Romana vs Punta Cana

This is the beach between Cabeza de Toro & the Catalonia hotels. In the PC area.. Older camera so vid quality is not as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aujbxXlibRY

england
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: La Romana vs Punta Cana

And this is the beach at the Barcelo Punta Cana... Fairly typical of the beaches from the Ocean Blue hotel area & heading north.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRVXSQ8JeIs

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
154 reviews
8. Re: La Romana vs Punta Cana

How does the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus compare to Dreams as far as the beach and pool? Do they provide day passes?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: La Romana vs Punta Cana

We have been to PC, POP and La Romana all several times.

I think Dreams La Romana was my favorite overall. Snorkeling from the beach is always a big highlight for our group. While snorkeling overall is not great around the DR in general it is sufficient in front of Dreams LR.

The entire resort is very nice with some really great staff, good food, and nice rooms. Some of the beaches in PC are nicer overall but we found the water usually much to rough for us.

We really enjoyed POP since you had the towns of Carbarete and Sousa close by. However the wind was so strong on the beach we spent two weeks at the pool which we never do anywhere else.

When we return to the DR it will be to Cap Cana or La Romana.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
10. Re: La Romana vs Punta Cana

For Punta Cana - the northern hotels, in the area called Uvero Alto, have generally rough water all year round. There can be "no swim flags" present when the current is strong (especially around Excellence Punta Cana).

For the rest of the coast you don't have the "no swim flag" issue. The further south you go the calmer the water - on Bavaro beach (around NOW Larimar) it's pretty much always calm but with WIND driven chop. Cabeza de Toro much calmer. Club Med and south of there even calmer.

See maps for all Punta Cana hotels locations http://puntacanatv.com/maps

Bayahibe (Dreams La Romana) has the calmest water in the area except on the rare occasions that a storm churns things up.

Dominicus (Iberostar Hacienda and the other AIs) is also mostly calm but can have a bit of a gentle shorebreak.

As others have stated, snorkeling is the best from Dreams La Romana. Plus there is no fast boat traffic unlike Punta Cana where you are forced to stay within the roped off swimming areas.