We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.S. Passport expires 5/19 - still OK?

KC
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
U.S. Passport expires 5/19 - still OK?

We are going to Secrets Cap Cana on 1/11. My passport expires 5/19. Does the DR require 6 months validity or will I be OK? I've read that if I'm entering as a tourist it only has to be valid until my vacation date is over. Then I've read that people are denied when they try to check in at the airport. We are flying on Delta.

Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: U.S. Passport expires 5/19 - still OK?

The DR does not require it, only to be valid the length of your stay. However, some airlines like Jet Blue do differently. I say check with your airline.

Seattle
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: U.S. Passport expires 5/19 - still OK?

Google Deltas requirement.

I just did and it states that Delta requires that your passport be valid for 6 months past your intended stay.

Reading that, you need to expect that you will be denied boarding the aircraft at the airport in January.

Your next question will be something about how can Delta deny you into the aircraft with a valid passport.

That would be because the onus of responsibility to ensure compliance is on the airline. They can enforce a higher requirement, but they cannot allow a lesser requirement. The airline is heavily fined and held responsible should someone arrive at a foreign port and denied entry.

Expedite a renewed passport application. Most are being turned around in 14 days.

Reply to: U.S. Passport expires 5/19 - still OK?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted