We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana vs Puerto Plata

Nome, Alaska
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Punta Cana vs Puerto Plata

sorry i know nothing about these two places, so in order to start my research i was wondering if anyone could tell me which place would be infested with youngsters, i.e. 18-23 years of age

and seeing as this is a Punta cana forum, the name of a few resorts u would recommend searching on.

Thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,171 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana vs Puerto Plata

from my experience you would find more younger ones in puerto plata staying at a resort in the playa dorada complex. Punta cana is more expensive, so it's not as acessible for youngsters! If you do choose P.C. i would choose places like grand flemenco, palladium, allegro, carabela, caribe club princess or IFA resort. I myself liked palladium and ocean blue but ocean blue is way more expensive. If you choose P.P. try the occidental, allergo, fun tropical/ royal, breezes gran ventana. Breezes is a good pick, but not in the complex of playa dorada, but there were lots of younger ones there when i was there. HTH

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana vs Puerto Plata

Good Day,

Your going to find "youngsters" within those age groups in either of the two destinations you have indicated. What you should know is that Puerto Plata is totally different than Punta Cana in "looks" and "feel". Because you are from Canada, it would be like comparing Nova Scotia to British Columbia. They are totally different places and have such a vast difference in what they would offer a traveler, but they are in the same country. Both Dominican locations are going to have vacationers of the age groups you suggested. The time of year will also dictate how many of them you will find. I have been to both parts of the Dominican, and reviewed in both places on TA.

I have a preference for Punta Cana myself, but would not hesitate to stay at the Gran Ventana in Puerto Plata again. The reviews on TA for both destinations are a very good place to start looking. Take a look at the photos/videos that people have submitted, and that might help you as well. It's hard to say what would suit you best when you really didn't give any feedback on what you are "looking" for in a vacation other than not spending it with lots young adults.

What you might want to do is stay in an Adults only resort or a smaller resort. Maybe put on another post asking questions about what you are looking for out of a vacation, and people will give you their honest opinions which will help you with your search.

Good Luck

Toronto
Level Contributor
370 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana vs Puerto Plata

It is a money question!

Punta Cana is more expensive but the beach is nicer. If I have the feeling I did spent enough money for vacation already, we flight to Puerto Plata (Costa Dorado, Iberostar), If I want to be a little more spoiled, we book the Iberostar Bavaro.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana vs Puerto Plata

Hi habs!

Read my review of Iberostar Costa Dorada in Puerto Plata. I have been to both places and am going to both again, Majestic Colonial Punta Cana in April/May and Iberostar Costa Dorada sometime between October and November. Punta Cana has beautiful clear blue ocean water and Dominican people, (the best), and Puerto Plata has wavy ocean water that is not as clear as Punta Cana, but also has Dominican people (the best),.......get my drift? Either way, you just have to pick a good resort and you will have a ball. Puerto Plata is less expensive than Punta Cana.

As far as youngsters of 18-23 years go, I avoid them at all costs.....especially since I have one of my own........:) :) :) Part of the reason I need a vacation..............

5. Re: Punta Cana vs Puerto Plata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 05:18