We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for maids

new bruswick
2 posts
Save Topic
Gifts for maids

I just have one little question, if I was to give the cleaning lady chocolate, chips candy etc, with 2 or 3 dollars would that be ok?

Moncton
6 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: Gifts for maids

I am bringing "trinkets" for the girls. Maybe some of us need to take a moment and remember that we are visiting a very poor country.

Yes they might seem like "trinkets" to us, but those people really do like getting these items. IT shows them that we went the extra mile to show that we appreciate what they do for a living. You wanna see someone's face light up....give em gifts that they can't just go buy. ALWAYS give money also, but that trinket goes a long way...........

Ontario
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: Gifts for maids

We should examine our motives and be careful that the giving is not more for ourselves than for the people of Dominican. It is similar to the shoeboxes that people fill with gifts for poor people in Africa and other countries. They are fun to do and give us a warm fuzzy feeling but they are not very useful in the countries they are headed for. Missionaries and Aid people have advised me that cash is the most effective way we can do something to assist with conditions of poverty. Cash to buy food, hygeine items for the whole family, clean water, fuel etc. is more useful than barrettes. I leave the trinkets at home and tip generously (spending the same). I think a cash tip is more respectful and not as condescending as leaving candy. Just my opinion.

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Gifts for maids

Yes....I agree that it is important to give money along with the gifts. Even if it's just a few bucks. We thought of it this way.....we often stop at Tim Horton's for a couple of coffees.....which costs us 4 bucks...with the tip included. Every day while in Edenh, we put that 4 bucks under the gifts that we left for the maid.

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
54. Re: Gifts for maids

Hey Fly Guy

One of the nice things about the US is that it is less of a conformist society than Latin America. I have been in banks in Florida where bank employees have worn corn rows. In the Dominican Republic you would not even be allowed into most restaurants with such an afrocentric hairstyle. When I am in the states I wear runners and jerseys and long shorts like any other casually dressed black dude. The reality is that if you want to be taken seriously in the DR that doesn't cut it. I don't make the rules, I wish they were different but that is the reality.

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
55. Re: Gifts for maids

PinkCoral nailed it on the head.

It may make you feel good but cash is king especially with all the consumer items available in the DR. I give gifts to people that I know, why would I give a personal gift to someone I dont even know ?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: Gifts for maids

Pinkcoral,

I think you hit the nail on the head when you stated that people may give gifts more for the warm fuzzy feeling (my words) it gives them, then the perceived need of the receiver.

Perhaps an experiment is in order. Leave a note beside the money and gifts asking the receiver to take one or the other. How many people would leave the cash? I suspect less then 5 percent.

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Gifts for maids

Jumper280, I suppose you could say the same thing about Christmas.....if notes were left beside each gift under the tree saying that the receiver could choose between the gift or the money that it cost the giver to purchase it, it's quite possible that 'some' receivers might choose the cash. Personally, I would choose the gift that the giver took the time and thought to create or buy....and I'd probably appreciate it a heck of a lot more than cash...whether it be a homemade drawing or preserve.....or a manufactured item. But that's just me.

I often take gifts offered by total strangers.....the yearly calendar from the car dealership, the pens from my bank, pill-splitters and purse-size pill containers with advertising on them from my local drugstore.....the list goes on. I like those things, I use those things.... and I really appreciate those things.

Most of us already realize that the employees need cash.....I think that we could all use a few extra dollars. The workers receive cash from their employers for the work that they do (although not nearly as much as they deserve). Sometimes they receive 'extra' cash from vacationers, in the form of tips. I would be willing to bet that they receive pretty good tips in the form of cash each day from the rooms that they clean.....and they truly deserve every penny of it....and more! They also receive gifts in the form of t-shirts, hats, school supplies, beauty products, toys, etc. which I'm certain they don't discard in the nearest garbage receptacle at quitting time. They use them....or give them to their children, or to others......and, in turn, they probably get that same 'warm fuzzy' feeling that we got when we gave them the gifts. In this section of the forum, that 'warm fuzzy' feeling seems to be a 'bad thing' that certain posters look at as a 'greedy' thing...as though people give gifts in a self-serving manner...totally disregarding the interests of others. We all know that this isn't true.

It's a personal thing really.....if you feel uncomfortable giving a total stranger a gift, give cash. If you'd rather buy some gifts that you feel will be used and appreciated, give gifts. If you want to give both, then do so. If you don't want to give anything....well that's your choice.

From our experience with our maid, we found that the gifts and cash given brightened up her day....and it gave us a 'warm fuzzy' feeling at the same time...and I don't think that there's anything wrong with that.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Gifts for maids

Some of you here are taking this waaay too seriously.

If some cheapskate says, 'Hey they should be happy with the little gifts I give them!" and proceed to leave a tootsie pop (which I do love!) in lieu of cash...THEN call them a condescending cheap-o!

However, if you are going to give them a $2 tip anyway, why not leave them something extra as a token of giving and appreciation?? Giving gifts for the little things makes one want to do more.

What exactly is the problem with that for some of you out there???

Simply from a strategic, selfish motive it works too! If I know that by going the extra mile in giving gifts for workers means that they will be willing to give me top notch and lavish service...Hey! Why not? Both parties are happy!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
313 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Gifts for maids

Give what you want. I am sure all are appreciated. That said, if I was on the receiving end cash would be more important to me followed by anything I can't get locally, followed by anything else. I believe that in the DR most items are available so cash may be more appreciated. In places like Cuba this would be very different.

Manchester
Level Contributor
886 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Gifts for maids

I tip cash, but when I leave I don't take my toiletries with me, so there is usually quite a lot of stuff left behind, in the way of shampoo, make up, perfume, etc. I don't perceive that as a gift, but I would really hate to think that my maid would feel insulted by this...so should I bin it before I go, or just leave it and hope she can make use of it? I left my make up kit (Victoria Jackson and almost unused) hoping she might like it. Was I wrong? I hope not.