We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to pack for a trip to DR

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How to pack for a trip to DR

I'll be in the Dominican April 15-22 at the Iberostar Bavaro. Some of you may have read that I've considered canceling since I'm a single guy (newly single, that is). I didn't want to be around all couples and kids, but I covered that in another post and I guess I'm going anyway (somewhat reluctantly, I must admit).

Anyway, I always pack too much, and with all the hassles you have to go through with getting luggage and going through customs (I also have a layover in Miami), I'm wondering how to cram everything for 1 week into a small suitcase and carry it on. Is it possible? What about things they take away from you such as razors? Do I ust wait and get a new razor at the resort? Also, what do people usually wear to the resort restaurants and disco? I want to pack as little as possible, but still have enough. Everytime I go somewhere, I wish I'd packe less. Suggestions?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,533 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to pack for a trip to DR

Not sure if it's doable with just a carry-on, but it's been done. Check your airline's website for what's restricted in your carry-on as they seem to be different for different countries.

Seeing that you're only going for a week, those zip-off cargo type pants are great for various reasons. You'll be spending the majority of the day in your swimwear so just a few "outfits" for the evening will be fine. And if you're doing any excursions you may want to consider clothing options for that.

You will become fast friends with the animation team there and will surely have a blast.

Cheers, Debbie

oceanpark
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to pack for a trip to DR

You're allowed razor, and also buy small travel size, foamy, whatever you need,. There are alot of travel size items now for sale.

My husband always takes carry on and he even packs dress shoes, and slacks for dressier restaurants. Its all how you pack. Most people pack too much anyways.

The only problem is sunscreen, so you may have to buy that when you arrive.

You do have limits and size restrictions with carry on. Check with the TSA website.

www.tsa.gov.

As long as you bring the right size carry on there shouldn't be a problem. Have a great vacation.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to pack for a trip to DR

Mmmm, this is women answering, hopefully the men will kick in (lol)...I would pack a three shirts with collars, a couple of pair of chinos (both for the evenings), some shorts, bathing suits and tees, nice pair of sandals and your tivas or flip flops for the beach. As long as you can interchange your clothing no worries (of course, don't spill anything one it, but if you do, the resort you are going to has laundry facilities meaning they will do the laundry for you and return it to you room in 24 hours). Don't know how much a small carry on can carry as you have to take your shaving cream, etc. with you but you might get away with a small suitcase. I would take your own razor to the resort as, hubby says, can't beat the ones from home and as well those things cost a fortune at the resorts. You can also go to your local drugstore in your area and purchase travel size things, like your shaving cream, shampoo, etc. so that too will take up less space.

Hope this helps...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to pack for a trip to DR

DDF, that does help, but good point about the sunblock. I thought something as small as a razor would force me to check my bags, but I should anyway because I'll be bringing lots of sunblock and aloe. So I guess that answers my question. Plus, if I bring a couple pairs of shoes, forget it...I wear a size 13. Just hate there are no direct flights from Atlanta. Its the layover that makes me nervous about luggage getting lost.

Great suggestions on the shirts and pants. 3 swinsuits, 2 pairs of kakkis, maybe 1-2 jeans, 3 button down shirts and some t-shirts, and maybe workout clothes. Damn, packing too much already, lol.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to pack for a trip to DR

No you are not, just make sure you pack the things you can mix and match with. Sunblock, etc. will cost a fortune at the resorts...just go to Walmart whatever and just buy the travel size stuff. Sunblock, well that is one of the most important things, get the big one on that!

oceanpark
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to pack for a trip to DR

You don't need jeans. Too hot.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to pack for a trip to DR

crescentbeach, I agree, way too warm, take some cotton chinos, you will be fine.

oceanpark
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to pack for a trip to DR

You don't need alot of shoes either. Wear your regular shoes on the plane down, bring flip flops and maybe another pr. All those can be in carryon with your t shirts and shorts, l pr. of slacks rolled up, a couple of dressier shirts. My husband always wears shorts on the plane too, with a thin jacket he can roll up when we get there.

Your small toiletry stuff, in a ziplock bag, and your workout cloths, swimshorts, whatever. Definitely bring a couple of razors and a small foamy from home. My husband also brings a small sample size fragrance, and after shave cream.

Sunscreen may cost $10 more at a resort, but you can buy small tubes of sunscreen at Target. If you run out then buy suncscreen @ the resort. Not a big deal.

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to pack for a trip to DR

Hello,

One you are through check in and get to the duty free shops if there is a chemist you can buy things like sun screen and take it on board with you.

The laundry services at hotels are great and don't cost much. Alternativley buy a tube of travel wash and wash the shirts yourself, they won't take long to dry and most hotel rooms have an iron.

As for shoes OH takes a pair of black croc closed toed mules - no problem in getting into a la cartes with them on, they can be worn on the beach, they look smart and they are incredibly light.

Pre OH I went on solo holidays and had a great time. I'm sure you will.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to pack for a trip to DR

Since you are in your swim suit all day you just need one pair of long pants in case you need it for an ala carte. Three pairs of shorts and the same for shirts and your set to go. I always wear the shirt I wore for dinner the next day around the pool. Since you are only in your shorts a few hours in the evening, wearing them twice should not be a problem.