We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping

Alberta
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
shopping

Are there any good places to shop for local items near the Bahia Principe? Also, is the silver jewelry of good quality? What is a fair price to pay for items? Please let me know of some good purchases.

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping

Hello

There are a few shops at the Bahia Principe and in the Pueblo Principe (alarge plaza/entertainment village at the front of the hotel) there are traders with ornate carts selling all sorts of trinkets & souvenirs but very overpriced - do be warned, hotel gift shops are outrageously expensive - I don't know how they get away with it! For simple items such as rum or coffee you pay around 5 times more than you would in a supermarket.

Punta Cana is not really a shopping destination and most souvenir outlets sell pretty much the same thing I.e. pottery, Haitian paintings, T-shirts and other knick knacks. Anything imported is normally marked up for a much higher price than you would pay back home.

There are lots of Harrison's Jewellery stores which can be found in most shopping centres - they sell beautifully designed pieces and often use larimar which is a locally mined powder blue stone unique to the Dom Rep. They will have some silver items - I don't know what the current base rate is for silver per ounce but when you know what it is, ask them to give you the weight of the piece and calculate how much they are charging over the world base price.

Tobacco is grown here and cigars are popular - there are lots of cigar showrooms popping up everywhere to try a cigar in a comfortable lounge and they also demonstrate how cigars are made which is very interesting for travellers to observe.

Other good buys include coffee, vanilla and, of course, rum which is a great drink here and the Dom Rep is famous for it's local rums. Cigarettes are very inexpensive at less than U$2 for a pack of 20 DR produced Marlboro. Quality electro-domestic gadgets & goods are scarce & expensive - it's definitely not a bargain hunters paradise and you need to have good bargaining skills too as the start off price a merchant quotes you could be 10 times higher than he would be happy with. I have heard of some simple brightly coloured Haitian paintings being sold to tourists for U$800 which probably cost the store owner U$15 so you need to have your wits about you when shopping here. ... you also need to think twice about where you use c/cards and for most places it's best to use local currency & pay cash.

There's nothing off property that is within walking distance but a $10 cab ride will take you to the Shopping Centre & Plaza Bavaro which are close to the entrance of Bavaro Princess.

Another interesting place is El Corticito and you could easily kill a couple of hours here and there's also a local supermarket with fixed prices and this has some souvenirs too

Check if you tour operator or rep has a half day shopping tour.

So have a great time - don't spend too much!

bb

Alberta
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping

Thanks so much for the information and for getting back to me so quickly. In regards to your comment about not spending too much... have you been talking to my husband?!

Thanks again.

NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping

BB, what about wooden masks ? we collect carved wooden masks from all over the carribean, usally hand carved from the native hard woods found on the island, and would like to bring one back from DR. Can u recomend where i might find one?

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping

Hi - yes the walls of many gift shops are decorated with ceramic and wooden face masks

I have also seen some very expensive ones made from a very heavy dense wood with a deep shine - they say this wood sinks in water

South Caorlina
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping

We're going to be staying at the Secrets Excellence.... where are some good shopping spots near there?

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping

Hi there - Secrets is out on a limb so to speak so you would have to travel to get to any shopping areas. There's a small plaza located inbetween Sirenis & Sunscape but prices here are quite high as they know it's the only place available closeby for tourisits at these 3 hotels

bb

NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping

BB any shop inparticular? also is it true about the wooden pieces, being denied due to worm holes?, if so maybe ill go with ceramic??

Coldwater, Michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping

Is there anything outside of Sunscape the Beach close by?

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: shopping

Hi there - no shop in particular and I've no info on goods being denied because of worm holes - ahve any DR visitors had this problem on their return?

The Plaza near Secrets & Sirenis is the same one close to STB

bb

NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shopping

Thanks man! 2 sleeps & a wake up!