We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
568 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

Trying to decide between the two. We stayed at Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun in May and loved it, so we are comfortable with the Secrets line of hotels.

We have been to Punta Cana before (stayed at Paradisus a couple of years ago). Have never been to Jamaica.

Anyone been to both? Any opinions on which is better?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

Have been to Sandals Royal Carribean in Jamaica and Secrets PC 2 times and going again in Jan for 10 days. I like Jamaica, like Ragae, the coffee, the people etc. Sandals Resorts I think are a little too commercial. Sandals name is written everywhere, even in the pools. Many more honeymooners and a little more camplike. Very similar to Secrets as far as food, drinks, rooms ,property etc. I like Secrets PC because I think that it has a laid back ellegance. Sandals Whitehouse I am sure is beautiful and would be a great trip. I think that if prices are similiar go and try Sandals, if the prices at Secrets are better then I would go to Secrets. Can't go wrong with either. Jamaica is expensive from Pittsburgh, PC is priced much better.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

Check out chris-n-cheryl.com ,has reviews on both.

Clear Lake...
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

Hey, ES, I was torn between Secrets and Sandals myself for our honeymoon. After a lot of research and reading a lot of reviews on here, I decided to go with Secrets. There seems to be a 50/50 mix of great and bad reviews with Sandals, no matter which one you use. I know personally two people who booked Sandals in Jamaica and once they got off the plane in Jamaica were met by a rep and told their resort was "overbooked" and they were sent to a lesser resort. I don't think they booked the Whitehouse -- I think it was just about to open but wasn't yet. They were really peeved to say the least. I ended up deciding between Sandals Royal Bahamian (can't move you if there's only one resort) and Secrets Punta Cana. Went with Secrets and had a great time. I do know that at Sandals they don't allow tipping. I do feel that I was obliged to tip most of the time, but the few times that I did not tip, my service was not affected in the slightest. Maybe it was just my American feeling that I needed to tip. I loved Secrets, I really did. No problems, no bugs, no food illnesses. Really pretty place. Only my opinions, so please take them that way. Either way, don't think you can go wrong -- vacation i sa getaway, and you can make it what you want it to be! Have a wonderful time.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Canada
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

Can't get to chris and cheryls website . Are you sure that is the address ?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

chris-cheryl.com just tried it and the address is correct

Acushnet, MA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

I was at Secrets in May and I thought it was incredible! I would definitely go back. My fiance and I have decided to get married at Whitehouse in February, so I'll be able to compare then!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

tried again and had no problem . thanks

Minneapolis, MN
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

We were also told upon landing in Jamaica that our Sandals hotel was overbooked. They sent us to a Beaches, via 2 1/2 hour bus ride, where we were in the foothills, not on the beach as requested. Had to take bus to the beach - not what we wanted for our Jamaican vacation.

We're looking at Punca Cana or La Romana for our 2006 vacation. Anyone with preferences? Our 25th anniversary!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

Definately Punta Cana over La Romana. Punta Cana the beaches are breath taking...we stayed at the Barcelo Palace...and yes it could have been a little better regarding the food...the location itself was fantastic!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Barcelo Bavaro Palace
Barcelo Bavaro Palace
16,834 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Clear Lake...
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Excellence Punta Cana or Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica

Wow, Marie, that would have been horrible! I hope you requested a voucher for a free visit or disputed the charges on your credit card. I know I would have tried to make the best of my vacation and then got home and raised holy hell!