We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel sickness prevention Dukoral

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
travel sickness prevention Dukoral

Just a tip for the day..

Dukoral is a very good vaccine to take before travelling. It basically puts a small amount of bacteria into your body and then your body makes antibodies to fight the bacteria. My husband and I take it now before we go to Cuba and Dominican Republic. I am not saying take it, just giving a heads up to the sensitive tummies you might want to research it..

Stirling, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel sickness prevention Dukoral

I too use it now. Was always getting an upset tummy for a day or two and now don't. It is worth the price!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel sickness prevention Dukoral

My daughter and I went to a walk-in clinic today and got prescriptions for Malarone and Dukoral. The doc was singing the praises for Dukoral and recommends it for those travelling to southern climes. He and his family take it and swear by it. I was warned it tastes ghastly though. lol

Preventive medicines are no substitute for using common sense and being careful of what you eat or drink. However, sometimes a situation arises out of your control and I'd rather be armed with a line of defence. I was in a very bad situation last winter where the hotel had no running water for 3 days and they also ran low on bottled water. Basically no one was washing their hands, not even the kitchen staff. Virtually everyone got the trots. I realize this same scenario wouldn't happen in Punta Cana but I thought I'd give this vaccine a try anyway.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel sickness prevention Dukoral

Maybe it's just me, but the possible side effects seem just as bad if not worse than getting a bit of a stomach prob: abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting. What it comes down to is a matter of choice and I guess which is the lesser of the two evils. The way my doctor explained it to me was that there is the same chance of getting sick on vacation as there is from side effects of taking the Dukoral so it's a coin toss. Every doctor is different and mine said that he would not recommend it. Happy and healthy travels to all :-)

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel sickness prevention Dukoral

I guess it is all how you look at it. My husband was very sick a few years ago luckily it started last day of vacation. Not saying that dukoral would have prevented that but we feel better taking it.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel sickness prevention Dukoral

I understand completely, I know people I work with and they swear by it - I'm not knocking it at all, I'm just on the fence :-) Hopefully it will keep your husband from getting ill in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel sickness prevention Dukoral

I know it's a personal choice to try it. I had read about it in this forum so when the doctor brought up the subject when discussing my travel plans, and recommended it, I figured why not. Hopefully I won't be one of the 1% who has any side effect.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel sickness prevention Dukoral

Unlikely but with my luck I'd be that 1% !

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel sickness prevention Dukoral

I don't know the cost of Dukoral but I have had good luck with taking a pepto or bismuth tablet at mealtimes. It has the same effect without the worry of the possible side effects of Dukoral.

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: travel sickness prevention Dukoral

I have taken Dukoral. I am no Physician, nor am I advising anyone to take this vaccine. It does taste gross, but it did help.

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel sickness prevention Dukoral

Pepto works just fine.