We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Bambu Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
milwaukee
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
RIU Bambu Punta Cana

How is this hotel to stay at today?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
398 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Bambu Punta Cana

Hi i have been keeping an eye on the reviews.Its confusing there one minute good then bad and now there picking up again,which is good news lets hope it stays that way !!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Bambu Punta Cana

The rius are alway a good average hotel,when they stop being that they shut them down and refurb them i will be going there myself this year and dont have any worrys.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Bambu Punta Cana

when will you be going to the RIU Bambu?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Bambu Punta Cana

Hi Blu,

The RIU Bambu is a 3-star hotel, and some folks think they understand what a 3-star hotel is within the continental US and expect that same standard abroad as well. But many times, star ratings in one country don't necessarily equate the same star ratings abroad.

When reading TA Reviews, it's best to consider those points that are important to you (i.e., big room vs. adequate room, up-scale decor vs. comfortable decor, lots of restaurant choices vs. a few good choices, standard services vs luxury services, etc.), and evaluate the TA reviews with those points in mind (disregarding points/issues that aren't important).

Everyone has their own expectations about what they should get for the money they paid, or for the star-rating of a hotel (I'm certainly one of them). Therefore, some folks will have their perception of a hotel property tainted by those expectations (positively or negatively), whereas some folks are just happy to be on one of the top 10 beaches in the Caribbean on a vacation for a while.

I think I'm rambling now, but my basic message is, try not to get too worried about the fluctuation in reviews. And don't read reviews too far back through time, as hotels quite often go through management changes, which can greatly affect how a property is run.

If the vacation fits into the budget, and enables you to vacation comfortably (financially), then the hotel property is worth the try, IMHO.

-Jen

Sagamore Hills, Ohio
Level Contributor
291 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Bambu Punta Cana

We stayed there last September and had a great time.

A group of 6 - age 40 year olds.

Rooms are small but clean, requested closest to beach/pool and received exactly that. Food was good. Beach was beautiful. Staff was excellent.

Would book again if the price was right.

Edited: 29 July 2011, 15:51
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Bambu Punta Cana

Hi i wont be going till february but iv been to club rius up north D/R and mexico and they are alway the same concept i have always had a good time.i went to a 5 star in la romana last feb a great hotel in every aspect but i prefered the rius and nearly all reviews say its a great beach thats a plus for me,dont be put of by reviews iv been reading them for a decade now.if the bad reviews out way the good then take note.

milwaukee
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Bambu Punta Cana

were the rooms nice? Clean and not musty smelling?

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Bambu Punta Cana

We were there in June and had a lovely time. The rooms were smaller than the Iberostars where we normally choose to go but we got a great deal at the Riu. Having said that it was very clean and had lots of storage space and a nice bathroom. We had two big beds pushed together and I almost lost my husband lol.!!! There was a mini bar with spirits which we haven't had in the room before, just beer and soft drinks. I thought the choice of food at the Colonial restaurant (buffet) was really good. Sometimes I think all inclusive restaurants lack a bit of atmosphere but we loved eating at the outdoors area rather than inside. I enjoyed the entertainment but I love dancing shows and I know they aren't for everyone. My husband really enjoyed the circus show. If I had to criticise anything it is very minor, but compared to the Iberostars I thought the bar staff were maybe not as sociable (although we were only there at night so they didn't get to know us as much as some who spend more time there, lol). we felt like the bar staff got to know us more at the Iberostars and remembered our drinks. We tipped at both by the way. The beach is amazing and we had a wonderful time so go and enjoy!!!

milwaukee
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RIU Bambu Punta Cana

Could you get "high end" liquors at the bars? Also, is there any place you can go to other than to be in the resort? a town close by, or anything?

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RIU Bambu Punta Cana

Yes you could get the well known brands of drinks if you asked. If you don't ask they just give you the local drinks. Not a problem though, I used to ask for Smirnoff vodka and always got that.

We didn't go into the local town though, maybe someone else can answer that question for you.