We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bell cell phones

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
bell cell phones

Will our bell cell phone be able to receive calls from canada?

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bell cell phones

We have a cell package with 3 phones from Bell. Bell often has "locked" phones for calling outside Canada and U.S. We contacted Bell before leaving for the DR to make sure calls could get through, because we had a frustrating experience with this in Mexico the previous year, where Bell had actually assured us that the phone would work but it didn't. We had no problems with calls in PC, but the outgoing text messages didn't send (no biggie but Bell told me it would work fine). But be warned that there are high international long distance rates, unless you have a plan incorporating this. I would suggest that you estimate the amount of calls and then purchase the minutes in advance. There can also be roaming charges if you leave your phone turned on.

Hope this helps.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bell cell phones

Thanks, it does help.

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
733 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bell cell phones

I have international texting put on my bell phone while we are in Punta Cana. Much cheaper than calling, I let family know I will be checking my phone early evening each day and leave the phone in the safe the rest of the time. Incoming texts are free, each outgoing text is 25 cents, and there is a one time $10 charge for initiating the international part. (I always add it from day of departure to a few days after we come home just in case of any delays) If I really needed to speak with anyone I purchase a calling card at the resort from the rep.

Edited: 08 October 2011, 16:52
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bell cell phones

Calling was so expensive 3 years ago with Bell that I can't imagine it being better now. It was $1.99 per minute for the call, and $0.99 for roaming, so it is safe to say $3 plus tax per minute.

It is cheaper to buy a calling card from your rep, from the gift shop, at the airport, or at many local stores. We bought them at local stores because the gift shop charged a premium. You can get a couple 250 peso cards (Verizon cards sometimes give you double minutes after 8pm). Your resort will charge a connection fee for each call, about $1. If making two consecutive calls, use the * or the # button, I forget which now, to stay within the calling card's system, and then place the other call. the resort will only charge one connection fee.

Internet is also a good way to stay in touch. We had free wifi at the Palladium in the lobby, so with the help of my www.Magicjack.com, which was registered in my home town, I could call anywhere in the USA or Canada for free. I made my way every morning to the lobby, hooked up my netbook, to a portable cheap dollarstore phone, enjoyed a cappuccino, called my family, checked any emails, sometimes my family called me. It was free because to them they were calling locally. It was so hilarious watching the curious stares as I was talking on a regular telephone in the middle of the lobby. I even let someone call their home. You can also make arrangements to have your family call you at a certain time at the resort, also much cheaper. ie 8am local time, or 6pm. those are often times when you will be in the room.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
798 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bell cell phones

When we went in April I called Bell & added an international text package for $30 you can send 200 texts & unlimited incoming. Definatly the way to go!

6. Re: bell cell phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 17:18