We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana or Jamaica

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana or Jamaica

Punta cana or Jamaica i November

PC Majestic or Melia Tropical

Jamaica- IBstar Rose Hall or Hilton rose Hall

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Punta Cana or Jamaica

Have been to both, Jamaica culture probably more prominent. Beaches as discussed Negril on par with punta Cana, Ocho Rios fine, others not so good. One thing I will add, although Very street wise, I found the availability and pressure of drugs way over the top in Jamaica. E.G. Guys on beach in PC try and sell trips to Saona, guys in Jamaica tried to sell me trips to drugs plantations!!!

Just my personal experience, I loved both and would return to either but edge towards PC at mo.

Kendal

Canada
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Punta Cana or Jamaica

We've done both and both are different experiences. Beaches are better in Punta Cana for sure but Jamaica (prefer Negril over ocho Rios and Montego Bay) has better food and service, we think. We've been to Punta Cana 8 times and going again in January.

Edited: 28 October 2011, 16:55
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Punta Cana or Jamaica

There is just something about Jamaica that just makes me come alive. The reggae music, the food (love Jerk Chicken-I could live on it) best island drinks, people, the fun...there is so much to do, if that's what you are looking for......seven mile beach in Negril is incredible. I'm just not sure I would travel to Jamaica and stay anywhere other than Negril, unless I won a free trip. I love Couples Sans Souci but the beach sucks. I thought Iberostar Rose Hall was incredible until I met Negril. We travel to Punta Cana to kick back and unwind....to lay on the beautiful beaches with drink in hand. I wouldn't give up

that piece of paradise. We do both for different reasons and I just don't think they should be compared.

Punta Cana - I would choose the Melia because I like the beach much better in that area vs. Bavaro beach. Keep in mind the resort is very big...they do provide trams, which I'm not a big fan of but no complaints either. This is definitely a family resort and I prefer "adults only"....but to reiterate...the beach is the sole reason I would choose this resort.

Jamaica....if I HAD to stay in Mo Bay, I would select Iberostar Grand Rose Hall because it is "adults only" and Iberostar Grands are a class act. The Iberostar Friends are always up for a good time. Don't miss Dunns River Fall.....great fun.

Resort beaches are different in both of these locations...it all depends on which resort you select to get the best beach. I would visit both islands sometime in your life....it doesn't matter on the order....you can't go wrong with either destination.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Punta Cana or Jamaica

I just realized you didn't mention Iberostar Grand in your original post. Are you traveling with children? If so.....I would select Punta Cana....hands down.

The emergency medical facilities in Jamaica would not be a place I would take my child, if reason would arise. The onsite resort Drs. are fine or a minor emergency center but if an issue that requires hospitalization or trauma care, arrangements should be made to fly that child home ASAP. IMHO. Of course, each parent should make their own decision but it's something that should be considered.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Punta Cana or Jamaica

Been to both unless you are going to Negril go to P.C.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Punta Cana or Jamaica

Been to the Iberostar Rose Hall Grand and the Iberostar Bavaro in PC. I think they are both GREAT. As stated, no comparison in beaches. PC hands down. Service at both great. Food great.. And we think the people were great at both. Language--Jamaica ...as they speak english. You didn't say which Majestic, Colonial or Elegance? I know the Majestic gets a lot of love on this forum, but I prefer the Iberostar chain. Been to them in 3 countries and have never wanted for anything. And stayed from the low end in Riviera Maya (IB Paraiso del Mar) to the high end in Jamaica. But for my money, I will stay at the IB Bavaro. Going there for the 3rd time in 14 days.

Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Punta Cana or Jamaica

Punta Cana!! But if we keep telling everbody that, there will be no room for us!

What are we doing!!

MAINE
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Punta Cana or Jamaica

Been to both-each unique.

Best beaches? Punta Cana, hands down

Favorite destination? Punta Cana

Friendly staff and people? Jamaica

If you go to Jamaica, stay in Negril at the cliffs. You can get a cab to the beach for about $10. Also a free shuttle to Margaritaville on the beach. Highly recommend Catcha Falling Star on the cliff area. Not all inclusive, but reasonable. Absolute paradise. Small resort, only 15 rooms. Unbelievably good food, and staff that call you by name from the moment you arrive.

MAINE
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Punta Cana or Jamaica

Been to both-each unique.

Best beaches? Punta Cana, hands down

Favorite destination? Punta Cana

Friendly staff and people? Jamaica

If you go to Jamaica, stay in Negril at the cliffs. You can get a cab to the beach for about $10. Also a free shuttle to Margaritaville on the beach. Highly recommend Catcha Falling Star on the cliff area. Not all inclusive, but reasonable. Absolute paradise. Small resort, only 15 rooms. Unbelievably good food, and staff that call you by name from the moment you arrive.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Punta Cana or Jamaica

Decisions, decisions, we also struggled with this one. have enjoyed both P.C. and Jamaica in the past so the the only option was to return to both! Jamaica at Christmas and then P.C. in May.

E1