We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

I noticed the weather for March 17-23, has a few days that say isolated showers. Just wondering has anyone ever experienced a full day of rain like we do here in Canada?

Ive been downsouth before, and I know I have never experienced a full day of rain downsouth, just wondering if anyone out there has...just curious if it does happen...

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,256 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

Just like at home and around the world of course it happens LOL, just not as often. Don't worry about the weather, it is what it is, and at least it won't be snow.

Have a great vacation !!!!

Cheers, dEb

Berrien Springs...
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

I'm sure it does occasionally happen, but the norm is a few showers that end quickly. Unless there is some sort of a front moving thru the area, you should be fine.

Listen to Deb, she is the smartessed person in the world, hehe.

Mich Rob

Clarksville
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

Last year in May, out of 12 days in PC, it rained one full day, and some days on & off. We got plenty of sunshine otherwise. It's the tropics, and very green. You've got to expect some rain.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,256 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

Gotta have rain to make it green ;-)

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

We were in PC from Feb 11 - 18. There was one day where it was overcast and cooler than normal. A shower here and there. We left the beach about 2 PM on that day. Other than that there was the odd shower.

Level Contributor
205 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

We were in BHP Ambar from feb.26th- March 4th....it rained for 10 min..maybe twice that week...and it was early morning...

Before we left the weather channel indicated showers/cloud all week...but like most trip advisor experts would say.."ignore" and just have a good time.

Our whole week was sunny and hot hot hot!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

Early Dec. 2011, we were at the Bahia. It rained from 2:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m. the next day. Not just showers but rain. We had water ankle deep and minor flooding in the lobby and some restaurants.

But we still managed to eat and drink and enjoy ourselves. This was the first time I saw rain in the 12 years of travelling to Punta Cana.

Uvero Alto...
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

In the six years we've vacationed in PC we have only had one day where it rained for a full day. Occasional shower here and there maybe rain for a bit overnight, but weather has never been a problem.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

Depends on the time of year.Rainy season,u can get a lot of rain(like snowy season in Canada)Watch out in hurricane season.One year in Peurta Plata it was overcast for 2 weeks in October.A hurricane just missed us.That is why in 22 years,i have always travelled in April,except for that 1 time where it was overcast for 2 weeks,but then i didn't sunburn too badly.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather - does it ever rain for a full day?

Canadaeastcoast,

you did not wanna say that Hurricane Season in the Tropics is Rainy Season???

because that would be exactly the opposite of the trueth.

Hurricane season can (every other year at max) provide a couple or even 3 consecutive days of overcast skies/many showers, if a System like a Tropical Storm or Hurricane would be in range to bring those effects, but such is a rare ocassion and usually springtime and Summer in PC are our DRY Time of the year when our Aquaeducts are bone Dry and we cry for Rain to get some needed Water.

there is not "Rainy Season" on this Island with it's year round quiet constant Tropical Climate, but if you want to point out a "Rainy Season" that would be our Caribbean Island Winter November - end February/mid March, eaxactly the Time Period OFFF Hurricane Season, as then we hav emuch more winds, 10 times more clouds and per month at least double the days with a shower or even full real Rain.

Hurricane Season and "Rainy" Season are two very different thingies and do not have the same Time of the year in common for their ocurances.,

Happy Travels

Mike