We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
3 posts
Save Topic
Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

I am leaving Friday (May 4th) for Barcelo Punta Cana and the weather forecast is scaring me a little!! 90% chance of rain for the first 3 days i am there :( can anyone who has just returned from there comment and let me know how the weather was for you? And did it match the forecast for the time you were there???

Thank you :)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

Weather rarely, if ever, matches the forecast.

Go, have fun. If it rains, use your imagination.

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
730 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

Just came back from 8 days this morning ..... we always travel the last week of April and have never encountered rain ... that being said this time we had more rain than sun ... take some rain gear and some sneakers or boots and an umbrella ... On Thursday evening I had to walk through water that was ankle deep to get to the lobby ... also the humidity is very high and I personally found the dampness to be a bit much. A friend of ours that lives in Punta Cana told us they have had more rain in the last 3 weeks than they have had in years ... as with every other country global warming is affecting the area .... not much you can do but be prepared. Take a couple of good books, cards, etc. When the sun is out though it is beautiful and the water is as warm as bath water!

south of england
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

We are at the cat royal right now , the weather is very hot and sunny , it can change in a instant though , we have a lot of rain at night , some of it torentional , puddles every where , very deep puddles , you have to roll your pants , trousers up and take your shoes of as they will get ruined .

At the moment it is blue sky and about 84 to 86 degrees , not bad hey .

Midlothian, IL
Level Contributor
376 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

Hi Gaza, hope you are having a great trip! Question about the down pour at night --what hours are we talking --dinner time or late storms at 1am or later? Heading out on Saturday.

Have you been able to get good pool time in w/Sun?

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

Say hi to Rosa for me.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

I spent the whole day on the Road with 3 rides Cabeza de Toro-Cap Cana Marina-Higuey and back and forth and back, I did not get a drop of water on the windshield, it was darn Hot, full sunny, average wind, would have been perfect to spend a day on the Beach with my Babygal instead of working down here on the road.

so now you know what your weather forecast is worth!

I will never understand how People can consider a long range weather forecast as something to get concerned/freak out about/consider to be taken serious, is such imaginery thingy the stuff the world is concerned about today's???

you don't have any accurate weather forecast for your hometown a week in advance,

why you expect the poor 3rd world to have such when you travel South to a Beach?

Happy Travels

Mike

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
730 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

Having just gone through a rainy week Mike Fisher, I can tell you why people stress about the weather forecast, #1 we don't live there, #2 the forecasts are provided by well known and knowledgeable weather sites in our countries for other countries, #3 we don't have the luxury of "waiting it out", it's time away from our "paid" vacations, #4 most of us that go to AI Resorts are not comfortable straying out to the local bars and shops (and having done that and being hassled every 2 steps to buy something I would personally not recommend doing it) when the weather is not suitable for the beach .... DCaska asks a valid question, one that does not necessitate one of your snappy answers (as usual) and how do you know we don't have accurate weather forecasts a week in advance ... for the record here in the Maritime's the forecasts are pretty right on ... it is after all 2012 and the skies are polluted with satellites there for such purposes. I'm happy for you it was hot and sunny today, it certainly was not the fact last week when in fact the long range weather forecast for the area did forecast rain.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

Hmmm....in reality we have not had any more rain for the past 2 months than we usually get. In fact...a daily drive by my "rain pond" confirms this....in a rainy week the pond is 3/4 full....last couple of weeks it is struggling to stay 1/4 full.

Rain here is often very very localized. This morning for example, when leaving for work...I walked out to the main road on dry pavement. Once in the van, within 150 meters, the road was soaked with impressive puddles lining the roadside. One mile further north....roads were bone dry....welcome to the tropics! LOL

Last week, we got caught in that system that passed through the central and northest of North America. It hung around for a few days, gradually giving way to clearing skies.

Sunday was a perfect beach day...in fact enjoyed 5 hours at Macao under perfect blue skies. Later in the eve around 7 pm, the clouds had moved in and the evening was mainly a wet one. Yesterday morning, after a brief sunrise shower, skies cleared and we had a decent day. Overnight, last night...a short but healthy downpour (at my place) for about 5 minutes and then back to the 1/2 moon.

More often than not, online forecasts are simply not accurate down this way. I never plan my day (and weather does effect my business) based on internet weather. If I did...i would carry umbrellas every day. On average I take them with me about 5 days a month...today I did...and got sunshine...go figure! LOL

A simple understanding of the clouds, wind direction and humidity...or lack there of...give us who live here a pretty good idea of what is in store.

Weather is weather....nothing we can do about it...it will be what it will be.

Cheers

PCMike....mainly clear skies...comfortable breeze.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
252 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

Sitting in the atl airport after 7 days at the me. The weather report said 60% each day but Wednesday which was 30%, and it rained the entire day. Got a few showers at night but the days were hot and sunny. Don't sweat the weather report lIke I did!! Just go and have fun, if it rains hit the lobby bar or just stay in your room and boochy boochy!!! ;)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current Weather in Punta Cana May 2012

By the way...expect some showers, heavy at times scattered about the region Wednesday and Thursday. A small system over the Bahamas is moving east northeast and will likely effect our weather locally.

Cheers

PCMike