We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

My husband and I are planning our first trip to the DR this summer. We are excited and are unable to make up our minds as to which resort to make a reservation for. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. We are going to stay between 6-8 days. We DEFINITELY know that we want to stay at an All Inclusive, ALL ADULT resort and the ones we are considering are Secrets Royal Beach (most expensive), Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium (mid-price range), and Catalonia Royal Bavaro (the least expensive). We have stayed at 2 other Secrets (Mexico & Jamaica) and we absolutey LOVED it. I'm trying to save a little money for this trip so that we can have a second vacation this summer with our children. However, we are concered that if we stay at a resort other than Secrets we may be dissapointed. Has anyone stayed at Secrets in DR and then gone back and stayed at one of the others I've listed. How do they compare?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

It's a real stretch to call RST adults only as most of your dining options and all entertainment is on the family side of the resort. See my recent review for more info.

For a real adults only experience I'd consider excellance punta cana.

Pete

York
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

Hmmm, Wonder why my travel agent didn't give me information on Excellance. I'll have to ask about that one as the only three that were given to me where the ones that I listed in my 1st post. Thank you for the suggestion and I'll look into that one as well.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

The following from the Top Questions lists all the AO resorts in PC:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k60147…

As mentioned earlier, Excellence PC is the only stand-alone AO resort and gets great reviews (we haven't been). We have not been to the three you're looking at but walked by the Secrets RB and thought it looked really nice. We've stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro and Gran Bahia Ambar which were both great and you could easily stay at these resorts without going to the neighbouring sister (family) resorts.

If it matters to you - Catalonia and Secrets ocean water is flat/calm - while at the Excellence it is very rough. Also, Catalonia is only about 15 minutes from the airport while the Excellence about an hour. Secrets and RST are probably about 25 minutes.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,903 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

Hi

We have stayed at SRB & EPC and if you check out my reviews you will find links to large photo albums that should help you get a good feel for the two resorts

York
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

Thank You, Momluvstorun

York
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

Thanks flipflop_man, I"ll go read your reviews and look at the photos too!

St. Thomas Ontario
Level Contributor
359 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

Here is an excellent comparison review of Secrets Royal Beach and RST

palladiumaddict.net/AddictForum/…

Also, what Pete V failed to mention is that there are 2 restaurants that are Adults Only and exclusive to guests at the RST.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

on our last stay at the RST ( # 10) we only dined at the at the 2 royal restaurants, the royal gourmet and the French La Chantrelle as the food is just so good there! really we hardly left the royal section at all, so no issues that it is an adult only section of a family resort as are the SRB and the Cat royal.

Edited: 02 April 2013, 16:12
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

I echo Sukie's comments. Have been to the RST 8 times now (9th visit next month) and we really don't venture off very much (if at all) to the other parts of the complex. It depends on what you are looking for. If it's for meals, the two restaurants in the adults only RST are much more than sufficient (Chanterelle and Royal Gourmet), they have fantastic menus!! If lively night life is your thing, then you will have to venture out to the other sections--but likely won't have many 'non'-adults' at some of the later evening entertainment.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Beach vs Catalonia Bavaro & Turquesa by Palladium

What a great question. I am glad to see that someone remembered my comparison review between the RST and secrets royal beach. Here is my take on it. Both properties are connected to a larger complex that is family based.

If dining options are a concern I believe your best option is the RST in comparison to the secrets options. The RST has two incredible royal guest only restaurants. The royal gourmet has alacarte breakfast lunch and dinner. The secrets has a buffet restaurant only for lunch and breakfast. The breakfast and lunch at the secrets buffet became very repetitive while the RST lunch menu changed on a daily basis. The secrets offers a buffet restaurant for dinner along with a steak house and a tasting menu. The tasting menu was good but you do need a gourmet palette to enjoy it. The RST offers a royal gourmet with excellent option and a French restaurant that rival North American fine dining standards.

If swimming in the ocean is important to you then the RST wins hands down. The sea grass I front of secrets royal beach is u bearable.

If you read reviews of difficulties of getting a chair around the pool occurring at RST this is nothing compared to the challenges that guests face at secrets. The pool is long and meandering but there are very few options for sitting.

We found the rooms at secrets to be very modern in decor where RST is more spa like. The swim ups at the RST are true swim ups the secrets has rooms called swim up but you need to walk across a grassed area that became very muddy.

In both sites you can easily stay in the adults only sections. Yes in both locations you do need to go over to the family site.

We enjoyed our stay at secrets but we LOVED our RST trip and continue to return again and again. We are booked to return again for our next two week trip in July.

I hope that helps.