We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water quality - surf conditions

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Water quality - surf conditions

Planning for 2014 Spring Break.

I thought along the way that I've read there is a section of PC beach that is rough bc of the position of beach against current. Please advise if this is true and what is best section for calm waters in DR. Thank you.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,608 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water quality - surf conditions

Calmer waters prevail at the following resorts...

Palladium

Carabella

Barcelo Dominican Beach

Now Larimar,

Secrets Royal

Palma Real

Melia

IFA

Barcelo Bavaro

BArcelo Palace

Natura Park

Dreams Palm Beach

Belive

Catalonia

Catalonia Royal

Club Med

Of course weather the ocean being what it is, nothing is guaranteed, but it is a rare day when anyone complains about the surf at any of these resorts.

Hope that helps...

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water quality - surf conditions

Great post - exactly what I need to decide. Thank you.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water quality - surf conditions

Thanks PuntaCana Mike! That's very helpful information! Perhaps you could add your list to top questions about Punta Cana.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water quality - surf conditions

Hi PCM - I looked at a map of PC coast and these hotels are scattered along same coast. Any ideas what makes coast line waters in PC better at one hotel than another? Like, for example, in Cancun, the entire beach front got hammered while we were there. At very end in Cancun, sits Club Med which is protected by a jetty. One can walk right into water without a ripple. Hate to be a pain but curious bc the roughs shore ruined our beach experience in Cancun, except when we were at Club Med.

New York City, New...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Water quality - surf conditions

What is the water energy and clarity like at Majestic Elegance? Is snorkeling off this beach worth while? Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water quality - surf conditions

The further south you go the water is generally calmer. The Cabeza de Toro area is very calm, particularly Catalonia hotels. I'll guarantee you can walk right in the water there except during a hurricane.

puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Water quality - surf conditions

secondmoon,

what makes the above mentioned beaches calmer than the beach areas further north is the position of the Reef, the Reef at those beaches is located far away from the Beaches, so the waves which may hopp over the Reef have a long way to run dead, they do not reach the beaches, so the beach areas there stay calm year around, no dangerous currents, no bashing waves at the beaches.

PC Mike's List above shows it all, but personally i would take the Palladium, Carabela and Bracelo Dominican Beach hotels off that list. while their beaches are calm most time of the year, they are not Always calm. during our strongest tidal changes and during almost every Breeze coming in from the NE'ern directions the Beach at those 3 Hotels get's hit by strong waves.

happy travels

Mike

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Water quality - surf conditions

add to Mike's list: Tortuga Bay Villas, Puntacana Resort & Club and Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana all of which are located south of Club Med.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Water quality - surf conditions

that's correct, Yumi,

but the Sanctuary luckily is not a Secrets resort anymore, it is a Sancturay Cap Cana Hotel only, and that's Good.

Mike

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water quality - surf conditions

I am in the exact opposite position. Just came back from Jamaica and the teens said number one must haves...waves for body surfing or boogie boarding. They loved the waves at Hard Rock but I'm not sure I want to go back to that resort. How are the waves north of there, like at Dreams Punta Cana?