We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Throwing candy at kids?????

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Throwing candy at kids?????

I have read several reviews where people on excursions, ie buggies, say they throw candy at kids that run out of their homes when they hear them coming. Do people really do this? Honestly, this sounds horrible to me on several levels. I would not want kids running after a moving vehicle, I'm sure it's not great for their teeth and it just seems odd to me. Also, as a teacher, I would fear that kids would not want to go to school as they may miss their candy opportunity.

Thoughts?

Barb

Edited: 31 May 2013, 19:41
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Throwing candy at kids?????

My thoughts have been expressed numerous times regarding this.... some people post that they have done this and seem quite proud of themselves ???? Would this be something they would do at home in a poorer neighbourhood? I think not.

These kids are not scavengers nor should they be treated that way.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Throwing candy at kids?????

Thank you! That is exactly how I feel. Reading this makes me feel embarassed that kids would be treated like this by people visiting their country.

Barb

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Throwing candy at kids?????

And thanks for bringing this up again Barb

(•_•)

<) )╯

./ \.

Edited: 31 May 2013, 19:52
Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Throwing candy at kids?????

I wish I was the artist you are......., but. :)

halifax
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Throwing candy at kids?????

I was in Punta Cana in April and went on a safari tour. We were told not to give the kids anything because of the fear of a child being injured. But we got hit in the head by fair size rocks thrown by the kids because they didn't get anything. That was not nice .

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Throwing candy at kids?????

that "may" have been because of all the tours they used to operate where the tourist threw stuff off the trucks to them, which only taught to skip school and wait for the tour trucks/buses... so happy they have stopped doing this then as it only teaches them to be beggers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Throwing candy at kids?????

filbertcat, that's exactly what happens when tourists turn children into beggars. Same with handing them money. Not a good idea.

halifax
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Throwing candy at kids?????

I totally agree with you. They are being taught to be beggars and tourists need to realize that even with the saddest look , they should not be giving them anything.

canada
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Throwing candy at kids?????

years ago...when we met our future lifelong best friend ..Mike .. He was our rep at the Bahia principe san juan.. he sent us out with a group we had met on resort on one of these safari tours. I had a giant bag of flipflops..given to me by a store in our community at the end of season..for the kids. I gave the whole bag over at a stop where a bunch of kids and moms were..they were soooo happy BUT I had ONE pair of little toddler running shoes... the guide told me NO. keep those.. I know where there is a little boy 3 or 4 and his mother has nothing. I will TELL you when to throw them off the bus..this bothered me..but I did what he said..this gorgeous little boy ran out when the bus was approaching..and was SO excited when he saw the shoes..he ran barefoot down the dirt road hoisting them in the air and yelling for his mom. It was seriously one of the most disturbing..but beautiful..moments of my life. I would never throw candy.. I would never throw ANYTHING except this tour guide asked me to..as he knew the child would get nothing if not.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Throwing candy at kids?????

I've read a Grand Palladium review (05/09/13) with tips for future guest :"bring some trinkets and trash..they make great little gifts."