We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hurricane season

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
hurricane season

i know the hurricane season ends november 30th. my question would be has there been any trip delays due to severe storms in december in this part of the dominican republic? i want to have the proper insurance. what is the procedure departing and your package is delayed a day or two also on the way home? also for those that don't have the insurance what was the out come. please share if you can. thanks

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hurricane season

There could be delays any time of the year...anywhere in the world. Your biggest delay will likely be in Newark...on a sunny day! LOL

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,696 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hurricane season

LOL @ Mike.

If planes are grounded at your airport due to snow storms then "normally" your travel agent/tour operator will arrange for a rescheduled flight.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hurricane season

vienemo - Hilarious!

new jersey
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hurricane season

that is funny :) i fly out of newark lucky enough to never have been delayed. but since your from punta cana what is your tropical storm history in december?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hurricane season

I agree with vinemo! all the way relax and enjoy your vacation

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hurricane season

It is extremely rare to have an "epic" storm in December in Punta Cana.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hurricane season

of all the reasons for flight delays for some hours or a day or even two, local PC/DR Hurricanes/Tropical Storms etc are not near the top of the list.

it is heavy weather at any airport area on the route, or somewhere on the route, or somewhere where your plane comes from prior to board you to start for the flight south.

the most common reason for heavy delays and flight cancellations is occuring during the hurricane free wintermonths, as that #1 reason is the heavy winter weather up north, so planes there can not start or they start but not all passengers could arrive at their departure airports on time.

Tropical Storms in early december are very rare, but they happened in the past, yes. on the other hand, a simple Tropical Storm does usually not lead to close down a airport for long, IF closed down in the first place, a few hours which deroute/start from their departure airport some hours later than shedule a few flights, that would be possible but usually flight interruptions in Punta Cana have their reason on heavy weather like winterstorms/heavy snowfalls/heavy rainfalls up north at the departure airports.

i personally would always at any given time of the year secure my expensive vacation package with the proper cancellation insurance, some little extra money which comes in very handy if needed only once per travellifetime.

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,916 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hurricane season

The worst I've experienced was in mid-December 2007. It rained for a day, and then for one day there were high winds, with the palm trees bent over, and you wouldn't want to try to walk in that wind. The next day, all was good. Sunny for the rest of the stay.

Mark

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hurricane season

but such windy and rainy day in PC would not cause any flight delays.

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,916 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hurricane season

I wouldn't think so, and in fact, we returned to a severe snow storm in Toronto, and had delays landing, getting transportation to the hotel, etc. Luckily, I had a 4x4 at the time because if it was a car, I would have been snowed in at the hotel in Toronto. The snow was at least 3 feet deep.

Mark