We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

I am a beach person, so would like to know the best area of Punta Cana for lovely beach that is not too windy.

I heard somewhere that the resorts in the bottom half of Punta Cana (like towards the direction of the airport) are not as windy as the upper half (like towards Excellence Punta Cana). Does that tend to be true?

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

In a word - yes.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,914 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

I haven't noticed it being windy on any of the beaches, north or south, except for a few days during the one time I went in late February, and another time when a big storm passed by. That was more than windy - no way you could walk in that wind, but it was just for a day, and then it was nice.

Mark

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

No, not true.

aside of very small isolated by areas thunderstorm pi9eces moving thru, the winds are not different on the different beaches, it is the same winjd blowing or calmed down along the whole coast.

lately we have a little bit of nasty gusts mixing in with the usual winter breeze, specially during the last 3-4 nights, til now always calming down later in the day. you feel that breeze on Juanillo Beach on the south the same as in Uvero Alto, as it is the usual winter breeze coming out of the Easterly directions.

it would be different on the several times per winter occuring strongt cold NE and Northern Breezes, mostly happening when cold frontals wander north of the Islands, on those winds it blows straight in on the Uvero Alto and northern Bavaro Beaches, while the areas south of Cabo Engaño(the easternmost tip of the island) would be in the protected shadow of such winds and feel much less of it, that's when the waters in front of Punta Cana Resort and Cap Cana get calm, while at the same time the passges in Bavaro are closed due high surf and watersport activities get shut down there.

and exactly the opposite is the case when we get winds out of the more rare SE'ern directions, then it gets rough off Cap Cana and Punta Cana, while north of Cabo Engaño/Bavaro is in the shaddow of the Surf and wind and stays calmer.

our usual easterly winds are felt all around more or less the same.

Mike

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

Okay, so more or less then, there's not much prediction there for the winds, it can go either way, according to the 'weather'. lol I had to ask though if there was a 'norm', as I was curious if I should be knocking some of the resorts off my list, just for that reason. Having said that, does that mean that the surf is not usually stronger in the Uvero Alto beach area, as opposed to say, the Bavaro area? That is what a past travel agent had told me years ago when I was considering booking with the Excellence Punta Cana, so that kind of put me off of that resort (that the surf was really rough there and the winds were bad).

(I know, I really have to take some time to go back and read some reviews, as that might tell me what I want to know. But, I find sometimes reading people's comments when discussing things, are more helpful than reviews can be.)

Edited: 28 November 2013, 19:57
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,914 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

The surf is rougher in the north, and calmer as you go south, generally speaking. That has to do with things like the position of reefs. Bavaro Beach (which is between Barcelo Bavaro and Now Larimar) has calm waters pretty much all of the time.

Mark

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

yes,

surf in general goes rougher towards the north and becomes dead calm towards the south of the eastshores.

Mike

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

-awesome, thanks for all that, that's good to know.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

I just found this thread about calm waters (listed in the Top Questions section)

- this is perfect, it has a LOT of great info in there, so just wanted to add the link to this thread...

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k662147…

9. Re: windy beach areas - much difference in resorts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 00:18