We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewelry Shopping

United States
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jewelry Shopping

Does anyone have any advice on shopping for Jewelry in Punta Cana? (What stores to go, good buys, & any other advice.) Thanks

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewelry Shopping

mchelle,

Most of the resorts have a Harrisons on site. They are the leading jewelers in the Dominican and sell the signiture stone of the island called Larimar. It is the color of the tourqoise water....beautiful. If you go off your resort to local shops they also sell it, and are willing to bargain. I got a bracelet that they originally wanted 120$ (us dollars) for, but when I was not willing to pay that and left their store, they came to find me in another shop and asked what I would pay for it. I told them 40$ and they said yes! What a bargain huh? Maybe I got ripped off, but I felt it was worth 40$ so didn't feel bad about the deal. It has several large stones from the island, pink coral, black coral, larimar, and green marcisite (or something like that) set in .925 sterling silver with a toggle clasp. It is gorgeous! Good luck with your shopping!

Oh yeah, I heard they like to bargain for Red sox items and U.S. sneakers....

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewelry Shopping

mchelle: I know there is a lady that meets you at the hotel gates and brings you to her shop where she makes the jewellry, she then brings you back. I am only of help with this fact, other details I don't have. I just overheard a tour operator from our hotel tell 2 other ladies. You could ask various tour operators at the hotel or even the front desk staff.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewelry Shopping

If my memory is working today, I believe last year Kaki was very helpful to me in regards to larimar and jewellery in general...perhaps you could try emailing her...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewelry Shopping

Thanks pattirose!

I do have a bunch of pics and info on selecting larimar and amber and what to expect from the cheaper vendors if anybody is interested. Send me an e-mail and I'll get back to you when I get home from work tonight!

Kaki

kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

United States
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewelry Shopping

Thanks everyone for you help. I guess I'm going to try and find a Harrison's to look at first.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewelry Shopping

Harrisons is not cheap (i would call them expensive) but they have great stuff. I thought they were only in IBEROSTAR hotels.

Harrisons also has stores in Iberostar in Mexico. I have a couple of rings, pendants from Harrisons.

United States
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewelry Shopping

Kaki, I wanted to thank you so much for the detailed email you sent, couldnt have asked for more. Thanks again !

Elmhurst
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewelry Shopping

Would love to know anything you have so I don't get ripped off. We are going to Punta Cana in January and was interested in purchasing something in amber for my niece who's name just happened to be Amber.

Thanks

Denise

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewelry Shopping

In my opinion the shopping is limited and the prices are high. There are much better places to shop for jewelry in my opinion. Things MIGHT be different in a major city, but in the Punta Cana area these stores are concentrated in the hotels and your not going to find a great amount of variety or prices. We didn't get an opertunity to do any big city shopping in May.

New jersey
Level Contributor
339 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewelry Shopping

THANKS KAKI, great information got your email..nice pics also

Caracol