We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for locals? What items?

Alberta
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Gifts for locals? What items?

Just wondering what might be good gifts to bring down for the locals, especially the kids. Someone told me that school supplies are really appreciated. Any other suggestions?

Ottawa, CA
Level Contributor
595 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts for locals? What items?

Perfumed soaps and beauty items are very expensive in D.R. and the locals love them

st louis mo
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts for locals? What items?

Baseball related things seemed to go over very well. We also left a necklace and earrings set for the maid which she wore the rest of the week.

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts for locals? What items?

The little boys LOVE the little matchbox cars. Other good things are candy, perfume, hair clips. Also if you plan on bartering for goods, bring old baseball caps, cheap watches and perfumes. Can get you really nice stuff in exchange. We did excursions were we gave kids in the street the cars,candy and hairclips and pencils. They loved it. I also got talking to one of the waiters at the world cafe restuarant and he was so excited that he was getting 3 days off to go to Santo domingo to see his family. This was my last day there and I had a little bag of all the items above left over I gave to him along with a $3.00 tip. He thanked me and took the bag, as he walked away he was looking through the stuff I gave him , he turned around, came back to our table. He came over repeating thank you, thank you and started rambling something in spanish while his hand was on his heart and he started having tears in his eyes. This was one of the highlights of my trip. He was soooo thankful for this dollar store stuff it was so touching.

Alberta
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts for locals? What items?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure anything would be appreciated, but I'd rather give someone that they really need or want. Those kids hardly have anything so it's nice to give something.