We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

russell county
3 posts
Save Topic
Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

Hello we are traveling here in june and i am trying to find out which airport i should fly into, and the best way to get from the airport to the hotel, any info is appreciated. I think we may be able to get a flight into the samana airport but it is but more expensive so i think we will be going to one of the other airports.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

Assuming you are coming from KY??? The only flights into the Samana airport from the US is jetblue from NY. Best option IMO is SDQ (santo domingo) and the transfer will be around 2 hrs and approx. $200 taxi (up to 4 persons). There are cheaper options if you arrive early (1-2pm) but involve a taxi to a bus station and then another from station in Samana town to the ferry station for the resort.

russell county
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

Thanks for the info, do you just grab a taxi outside airport? I noticed another person saying they had reserved a taxi

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

There are taxis outside of customs, agree on the rate before departing. There are also transfer companies and the bus as mentioned above.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

HeathKY, we are also going this JUNE!! :) we are looking at transfers from hotels now... Have you found/booked anything since January??

I have found that the best/safest/most reliable is a private transfer, runs about $225 each way and takes 2.5-3 hours...

What dates are you going? We will be there 18-24...

russell county
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

No I haven't looked at anything else yet, where did you find the info on the transfer you are referring to? We are going on June 8th thru 15

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

There is something called Travel with Terry, he speaks English and seems to be reliable, the other way was through the travel agency....

Samana
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

My mother came into Samana el Catey International Airport and used the services of OPTIMA TAXI and she paid about $160 USD for round trip transfers to get to Cayacoa Hotel located in Samana City.

Hotel Cayo Levantado is located about 10 Kilometers ( 6 Miles ) from Samana City, so expect to pay about $20 USD extra for your transfers.

She was very satisfied with their services.

Here is the link the their website :

optimataxisamana-airporttransferstours.com/a…

england
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

If you travel into Samana , El Catay, airport then the taxi transfer is about $80 US and only takes about 50mins I guess you need to weigh up the difference between time and distance and the increased cost for transport from another airport, taxis are expensive in DR as motor costs are high - depends on when you flight lands but after a long day travelling a short transfer on the sort of roads that they are in DR can be beneficial. My two pence worth for what is is worth

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

From KY your flight options are much better into SDQ, otherwise only a few flights/week into El Catey (Samana).

Here's the best solution, fly into SDQ with a less expensive flight and bite the bullet and take a Taxi or Transfer for about $200 but on your return take the bus for a fraction of the cost. You have time on the return to investigate the trip and you save a lot of money. When you arrive you don't want to mess around with taxi/bus/taxi, etc.

10. Re: Cayo Levantado which airport and transfer from there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 00:17