We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty on phones and cameras

Black Lick, PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
231 reviews
Duty on phones and cameras

I heard that when you enter the country, you have to pay duty on phones and cameras or electronic devices. I hate to leave my phone, camera, kindle at home but dont want to pay alot to bring them for a 5 day vacation. Ideas ?

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
166 reviews
1. Re: Duty on phones and cameras

This is not true, they would only want to charge you if you were permanently importing it, and of course you told them you were doing this :-)

Black Lick, PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
231 reviews
2. Re: Duty on phones and cameras

Why do they charge the medical students when they are only there 5 months at a clip?

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
166 reviews
3. Re: Duty on phones and cameras

I don't know, maybe it's a scam. I've always passed through with my iPad and MacBook, never been asked or had a problem.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Duty on phones and cameras

I've been to Grenada many times and have never been questioned about phones or cameras

new jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
75 reviews
5. Re: Duty on phones and cameras

I've been to Grenada a few times with phones, iPads, and laptops - never had to pay and it's never been questioned.

St. George's...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Duty on phones and cameras

This is not true. Import duty is for residents, or people who are staying as residents (ie SGU students) If you are not bringing the items to sell then there is no duty payable. We always travelled to Grenada (and now we live here at MoonFish our guests usually do too!) with laptops, cameras, phones, etc and have never been questioned.

Black Lick, PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
231 reviews
7. Re: Duty on phones and cameras

The students spend hours in lines making sure their computers are the ones listed on the paperwork that was submitted when they started school. If you get a new phone or camera or computer and the serial number does not match, they charge you a large duty. It really a shame that these students presence boosts the economy yet they get hassled so much at the airport. I was first hand witness to this and it bordered on harassment.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
166 reviews
8. Re: Duty on phones and cameras

They break the rules, and guess what they get caught out... We all know they sell their new toys to incoming students and try to leave with their old xxxx, they get caught and pay the penalty.... If you arrive with your laptop and leave with it no issue, otherwise you break the rules, why would you pity law breakers, they just think the customs guys are mugs, and they arent.

Black Lick, PA
Level Contributor
375 posts
231 reviews
9. Re: Duty on phones and cameras

You obviously have a very poor opinion of the medical students. The incoming students bring all the new toys so why would they buy the old. I do not condone breaking the law, I just saw with my own eyes, people being given a hard time and I just want to avoid having problems when either I or my family travel. No every student breaks the rules and they should not be treated badly by the customs person.

It was just a simple inquiry, didn't mean to hit a nerve.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
166 reviews
10. Re: Duty on phones and cameras

No problem sonogal, NB what happens, when students leave they may well have newish laptops etc, their parents and friends often visit on short hols and so kit they bring (then leave) escapes duty. However the student got concessions on kit they officially imported, but are supposed to take back out. When the student leaves they sell the newish kit to incoming students, and try to get maintain the concession on some other old .... But of course customs are wise. Remember these aren't poor or ignorant people, it's costing their parents 50-70k to send them and they are going to be very highly paid medics and vets so sympathy is limited.

Get answers to your questions about St. George's