We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

We are looking for opinions on what would be a good excursion to go on to get a feel of the overall island and main highlights. We are open to pretty much anything except scuba diving. We will be traveling in late January 2016. Thanks!

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

Very difficult to answer, as it all depends on what floats your boat. I think you should look at the most popular things to do on this website, and also do take a look at the sunsations tours website. With that as inspiration if you see a packaged tour that does it for you, do that, if not make a list of the places you want to visit and agree a fare up front with a taxi driver for x hours and off you go. Remember its 90 minutes from the capital to the north where a lot of attractions are.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

Any opinions on the Sunsation tours "don't go bananas"?

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

Well, if you dont want to visit historical or the bigger agricultural sites its fine, it doesnt go up north so you dont get to the cocoa plantation at belmont, the river antoine rum factory or bathway beach, but if you are time limited its ok. You will see a lot of the prettier mountainous countryside.

Edited: 01 November 2015, 16:45
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

Are there things within walking distance of the port the cruise lines dock at?

Edited: 07 November 2015, 16:49
Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

Several good restaurants, (bb's crabback is best imho) a local small museum (possibky not) a great local batik clothing shop called art fabrik, several bars, and really surprisingly, jewellery and fake designer goods shops (getting sarcastic now...).

Most good things arent in town by the cruise terminal, you have to travel to a beach or the inland mountain.

Wisconsin
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

We will also be travelling to Grenada for 1 day on a Royal Caribbean Cruise in April., is there a certain company that I can look for once I get off the ship to go to the spice plantations that is reputable?

Black Lick, PA
Level Contributor
371 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

We booked with AJ Meddy and he was fantastic. We did a full island tour and he let us customize it with a few suggestions. I was very pleased. Message me if you have any other questions. Unlike a lot of forums, there are not a lot of people who respond. I have visited 5 times and am still learning, but I am willing to share the knowledge I have.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

There isnt really such a thing as a spice plantation you can visit, the main spice related crops are grown high up, if someone points one out to you on the grand etang you can see a nutmeg tree but the plantations arent visitavle easily.

However there is the belmont cocoa farm where they will show you lots of stuff, thats the main agricultural viait, plus one of the several nutmeg processing workshops.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

Your cruise ship will offer a range of standard tours too via their agent in grenada. However these do tend to be largeish groups...

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruising to St. George's, Grenada what to do?

In my opinion if you really want to see Grenada head up north, visit Belmont Plantation ( best tour $5), River Antione Distillery($5 tour free samples) , Bathway beach and Sauteurs. I believe St. George and Grand Anse beach are over rated. We did eat at BB's crab shack, it was a great meal, service was SLOW and a bit over priced. It's a matter of personal taste.

Get answers to your questions about St. George's