We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this town have a solid nightlife?

5 posts
1 review
Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Save

I plan on going to Cap-Haitien sometime next year. I been to DR and other Latin American countries. I heard Cap-Haitian is the best spot in Haiti for tourist and plus the Citadel but my question is does this town have a solid nightlife? i.e nightclubs, lounges, bars, etc? If so which ones are the best?

9 replies to this topic
Haiti
Level Contributor
15 posts
1. Re: Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Save

Hej Matt

I guess it depends on how you define "solid nightlife". There's plenty of cool spots in Cap-Haitien. Lolo is one of my favorite restaurants in Okap. Super good food and kinda lounge vibe - but it's not a place you go dancing. For nightclubbing i'd recommend 3 places on the ocean boardwalk: Lakay is the most popular restaurant in town and they usually have DJ's or live music in the weekends. Further down the street you'll find Kokiyaj Bar & Grill with a more chilled ambience. Further down Boukanye attracts a younger crowd and usually get a dancefloor going every weekend with the best Haitian DJ's.

There's also plenty of bars with outdoor serving around the cathedral square in the center of town. I like sitting there with friends drinking a beer.

If you go during carnival month you might also experience large blockparties and parades all over town. And during easter you'll experience the amazing tradition of 'Rara' :)

5 posts
1 review
2. Re: Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Save

Thank you Franck for your in depth answer. Yes this what I mean when said "solid nightlife." :) The reason why I ask is because Haiti's nightlife in general is not really promoted compared to other Caribbean countries like Jamaica or DR. Also one last question is Boukanye the only nightclub and when is carnival month? Thanks in advance.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
18 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Save

hi matt, chiming in here...

i agree with all that franck wrote.

i'd like to add that i've spent an equal amount of time in both haiti and jamaica since the mid 90s and at this point, i much prefer haiti's nightlife over jamaica's. everything that's always been good about haiti- the bars, restaurants, live shows and general hanging out in the town center (as frank mentioned)- is still there, whilst the same stuff that used to be similarly awesome in jamaica has faded away in the past 15 years.

kanaval is february 25th next year. for sheer size of crowds and parties, the main action will be in port au prince (if it's not cancelled again), but there will be plenty of parties in okap that week.

Edited: 1 year ago
5 posts
1 review
4. Re: Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Save

@greene_ave

Thanks for answering! However, what specific clubs/bars should I be on the look for in Okap? Again thanks.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
18 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Save

let me ask my husband. he was in okap in july.

will be back!

5 posts
1 review
6. Re: Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Save

@greene_ave

Greatly appreciate it!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
18 reviews
35 helpful votes
7. Re: Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Save

seems like it's still lakay and boukanye, as far as clubs and bars are concerned.

if you're staying in a hotel, i'm sure the front desk folks would be able to help you find the party spots. you may also want to start stalking instagram.

okap is WAY more low-key than port au prince, as far as bars and restaurants are concerend, but you'll be able to find stuff to do, for sure

5 posts
1 review
8. Re: Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Save

Thanks again @greene_ave! Appreciate it.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
18 reviews
35 helpful votes
9. Re: Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Save

no problem, @Matt B.

feel free to pm me if you have any q's as you plan your trip.

hope you get to visit- it's a beautiful country.

Reply to: Does this town have a solid nightlife?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.