We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril VS Montego Bay

Kelowna
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Negril VS Montego Bay

What area do you think makes a better holiday?

WE are wanting to book an all inlusive. What area is best to go see and do?

Thanks in advance

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
1. Re: Negril VS Montego Bay

Negril ia a town with it's economy based around tourism. Montego Bay is a busy city with tourism secondary.

Look at negrilinfo.com

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Negril VS Montego Bay

If the plan is to enjoy the all that the all inclusive has to offer and not get off the grounds much then truthfully it really doesn't matter as both have great choices.

Negril caters to tourists well and also has a larger, more walkable beach. Mo Bay as stated by Bluespirate is more of a city but does have some nice smaller beaches. I enjoy myself in both places.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Negril VS Montego Bay

If you want supreme beach ...miles of soft white sugar sand then Negril. Negril also has cliff properties.

If don't care about supreme beach...Montego Bay.

There are nice places at both. All depends on your priorities and budget. Enjoy

Aboyne
1 post
1 review
4. Re: Negril VS Montego Bay

Don't go to Jamacia, I've been in quite a few countries all over the world where locals are desparate to sell to tourists, but these people are a pain in the neck, all they want is money for nothing. I have never been anywhere where I have been so desperate to go home. From the first morning when my husband and I were out walking a woman jumped out and tried to rub alloe vera on our legs and then demanded money, my husband gave her money to get rid of her, but she said it wasn't enough, then to the airport where I bought duty free perfume and had to pay another person 3 dollars to put it in a bag. The demand for money is 24 hours a day none stop. My son recently worked in Trinidad he said how nice the people there were and even they said don't go to Jamacia. I think that's why they have all inclusive deals in Jamacia so you don't have to leave the hotel and put up with the Jamacians!

We're off to India tomorrow, can't wait.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
46 posts
5. Re: Negril VS Montego Bay

Lesley's experience is unfortunate but Jamaica is a wonderful place to go. I wouldn't rely on her opinion alone when making your decision. Yes, people there do ask you to have a look at their wares and this can be constant and maybe threatening to some, but all you have to say is "I'm all set" and they are happy to move on to the next tourist. I prefer Negril over MoBay as the vibe is more relaxed, the beach is better and the big cruise ships don't go there. Remember that anywhere you go that isn't home requires safety first. Just as there are thieves in any country, they are in Jamaica also. You must observe the same precautions you would take anywhere. Jamaican vendors are sometimes aggressive but they are only trying to earn a living and there aren't alot of jobs available to them other than to sell their stuff. Drug dealers are in all countries though perhaps they are more blatant in their approach in Jamaica. I have been to Ja. 8 times and will continue to go back because of the beauty, the people and the way it makes me feel-so relaxed-Irie! People who prefer to stay at a resort will miss much of Jamaica but that is a personal choice. Have fun on your trip to paradaise!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Negril VS Montego Bay

Don't listen to this downer....Jamiaca is great. A "NO" works.

Have fun in India...now that's a place that's safe....

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
7. Re: Negril VS Montego Bay

Well that was pleasant (eyes rolling). Hope India is much better for you considering it is one of the poorest most overpopulated countries on the planet.

Thamesville Ontario
Level Contributor
33 posts
8. Re: Negril VS Montego Bay

My wife and I just got back from Negril and had no problems. The locals were great, and they did take no for an answer. Go to Jamaica you will not be disappointed.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Negril VS Montego Bay

You might also consider Breezes Runaway Bay. That area has really taken off and is fast becoming as popular as the two areas you've also mentioned.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
10. Re: Negril VS Montego Bay

Lesley, read a few books on travel before you take anymore trips. India, talk about poverty...people will be all over you, lucky if you can find room to walk.