We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new departure fee

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
new departure fee

some friends just got back and said there is a new departure fee of $3.00 per person.

I asked in what currency? They said...any! CAD, USD or JMD.

You MUST have the exact change.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: new departure fee

Applies to charters only

Any major carrier, the departure fees are already paid. If you booked before such increase then they can not ask for more money. If you booked after then you already paid such

nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new departure fee

The Jamaican departure tax is included as part of your ticket/package price, BUT, if you purchased before 1March, you will have to pay the NEW Facility Fee at MoBay of USD2.50 per person, when you check in with your airline to come home! If you purchased after 1March it was supposed to be added to the other taxes.

This is for Canada - unsure of what the US has done.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new departure fee

correct Denise.

Sorry TR...you are incorrect. My friends were not on a charter they were on Air Canada.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: new departure fee

This reminds me when the cruise ships decided to add fuel surcharges. They tried to make people pay additional funds after the fact.{ & some did} But sorry in the US paid in full can only mean one thing, Paid in full. After all it's only common sense that if you already paid for something before any such increase then that does not apply to you. Needless to say the paid in full before such date did prevail in the end & most certainly will here as well. At least with US carriers

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new departure fee

well TR you can stand on principle or you can get on the plane. YOu could not do so without the $3.00.

I was appreciative of the info in advance (not the amount but to have the exact change) so I posted it. ONE LOVE.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: new departure fee

I know what your saying as well as you me. Ultimately this is be between the airlines & the government. If the JA gov wanted to increase then they should of gave the airlines plenty of time to adjust for such accordingly.

I know were talking a few bucks each here but I think the JA gov is in no Poisson to make any waves with any airlines or travelers, during these times especially. Needless to say someone will surely be eating the majority of this increase other than the traveler at some point I'm sure, even if that be after they return. Few dollars or not.

The exact change thing gets under my skin too. What are they going to hold you hostage in their third world country if you don't by a candy bar to make change too.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new departure fee

TR...my friends started with a $20.00 bill. Nope sorry. Went to the Cambio at the airport cause where else could you go just before your flight? Got $5.00 bills. NOPE sorry. You MUST have the exact change. Unreal isn't it?

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: new departure fee

That's ridiculous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>purchased before 1March

I take that to mean as of 3-1-09 ? Right

We bought our tickets after that date so this is N/A for us, but at least I have a heads up on any arguments or holdups that may be ahead of the line. lol

Thanks for the input

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: new departure fee

I can only imagine the confusion and scrambling at the airport when this is going on. Thanks withrespect for the heads up. It will be interesting to hear from others who have just returned on this subject.

TrueRevelations,

When you are asked in a foreign country to pay a new special surcharge while you are in line do you really think that with the 1,000s of passengers departing every day the airport personnel care if you purchased the ticket before or after a certain date, or they even have the entire passenger manifest of every flight to know the names of all passengers let alone the purchase date? For a pittance of $3.00 are you going to make a scene to argue your point? Would you argue the point in San Salvador or Columbia? You cannot call the shots in a foreign country. To cause a scene in Jamaica is in bad taste and a show of disrespect not only for the workers but everyone else you are holding up in the line. It may be an inconvenience but you cannot say you were not informed about it.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: new departure fee

Honestly, well yeah. If I have a prepaid ticket & I know taxes & departure or any other fee was prepaid & I had an airline employee tell me I had to pay something additional I most certainly would tell them that my ticket says otherwise. I can not tell you how many times something was said to me by airline personnel which was quickly corrected by management or they realized they tried to pull a fast one on the wrong person only to end with us upgraded to 1st class.

All the airline needs to see is that the departure tax says paid. Paid is paid.

Anyway like I said we bought ours the 1st week of March so this will not apply to us but for the many that it will I'm sure it will cause issues.