We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaican mongoose...

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jamaican mongoose...

Do you suppose cats bother them?

Brampton
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaican mongoose...

Hmm....

They're kind of ferret like.... I had a ferret and a cat, and the ferret kicked the cat's butt daily.... A mongoose kills snakes and such. I think they can handle themselves around the skinny island cats.

Speaking of which...

jamaica-star.com/thestar/…news1.html

"I don't know what sorta mongoose that is. He came into the yard and walked around the house, on the asphalt, not on the grass. I don't know if it's the devil or if that is natural."

LOL...

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaican mongoose...

"Dem walk wide when dem see him." ... lol

jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaican mongoose...

My cats seem to ignore the mongoose but my dogs tear after them when they see them!

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaican mongoose...

Hi JaJewel... thanks for that.

We have a young mongoose that has been hanging around and also I've seen a cat in the evening so I was wondering if one would chase away the other...

He has a little path he takes that includes a trip thru the drain that surrounds the pool so I know he has places to hide away from our dog.

He is so incredibly cute.

At first glance I thought it was a BIG rat ... uggghhh! But as I watched him I saw that he could move his head & "neck" in a way that a rat or mouse could not... he's young so his tail (or her tail) is not very long or bushy.

Level Contributor
1,452 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaican mongoose...

A friend told me if a mongoose runs across the road, in front of you, expect good luck. If it turns around and goes back, your luck will be bad.....

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaican mongoose...

Many years ago when Jamaica was colonised by Britian. They were hundreds of poisonous snakes in Jamaica making it dangerous for sugarcane cultivation. The British brought Thousands of mongeese from India (then a British Colony). The mongeese killed all the poisionous snakes (There are no longer any poisonous snakes in Jamaica. )They then turned to chicken eggs,etc . This is when they became a nusiance. I have never heard of them troubling cats. They are frequently hit by cars, or strecthed by dogs.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaican mongoose...

Actually, there is no record of there ever having been any poisonous snakes in Jamaica. Mongooses were brought to the island (and many others in the Caribbe) in the 1870's by sugar cane planters looking to control rats in their cane fields. The initial group of four males and five females were released on a plantation near Kingston, and, with plenty of food and no predators, quickly thrived. Unfortunately, there was a problem. The rats were nocturnal (active at night) while the mongoose is diurnal (active during daylight), so they rarely met. The mongooses did find, however, that the young and juveniles of the Jamaican Iguana, as well as other lizards, were easy to catch and very tasty; by 1940 the iguanas were declared extinct, but in the late '80's a population was discovered in the Cockpit, and efforts since then have the species back on the road to recovery.

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaican mongoose...

Jammon, I had read that the mongoose had caused a couple of birds, a type of lizard & snake to go extinct in JA.

Superdan... yesterday, a lizard jumped on my hand. Someone told me that if a lizard jumps on you it means you're gonna get preggars... yikes!

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaican mongoose...

It was the non poisonous nanka that became almost extinct in Jamaica, a type boa constrictor.

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaican mongoose...

There are evil mongoosee going around in Western jamaica

jamaica-star.com/thestar/…news1.html

Edited: 29 November 2009, 22:48